Broad gauge modellers?

Rate this topic

David Holman

And rightly so ;)  The quintessential Irish railway perhaps - all the charm of the 3’ but on standard gauge. Last privately owned railway in the country and owner (ahem!) of the last conventional  standard gauge steam locos supplied to an Irish railway. Carlsberg don’t do Irish railways but if they did....

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 3
  • Funny 2

9 hours ago, Angus said:

Hi JHB,

They did appear in my Dromahair topic in the Irish Model Layout section

That was back in May, and embarrassingly I'm no further applying with applying planking to the blank side panels on the van or getting them painted. 

1139793254_vanandhorsebox.thumb.jpg.6e0834fbfc4d07279f0f4bd855d76037.jpg

The 5p coin does it every time - though the wagons have far more detail.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My small contribution to Irish Gauge modelling. At some point in the future I would like to do a complete layout but time and space are currently in the way. Plenty of plans but time to learn how to build a couple of locos and space to put any of the plans is currently limited. Oh the future... 

The second picture includes a wagon constructed by Andy Cundick just to prove that the gauge is correct. 

Nestor 

IMG_2050.JPG

IMG_2591.JPG

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Nestor said:

Thanks

it was built as an experiment in track building and scenery. It's since been updated scenically. 

Nestor 

Nestor you are further down the line than I am at present. I am at present putting the final touches to the concept plan; let’s just say it has a lot of SLNCR influence in it.

I have just ordered four building kits from Alphagraphix’s which I plan to use as templates. 

Colin

• Like 3

Tell us more, Colin! Roger’s kits are great. I’ve used rolling stock and building kits from him quite successfully. You asked a question elsewhere re drawings of the Sir Henry class. I have the same set as Brack - purchased from the IRRS. They are part of the ‘Haynes manual’ supplied to Manorhamilton works by BP when the  class was delivered. The collection published by the IRRS is not a reproduction of the entire set but more than enough to make a model with.

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

I cant recall where abouts it is, but I think there is a list of all the drawings they have done so far, I think most of them are ex GNRI at the moment.

The four kits I have ordered are:-

F527  The SL&NCR Signal box

F536  The SL&NCR good shed

F552  The SL&NCR station building

F534  And also the Stone built engine shed

Edited by Colin R
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, David Holman said:

Got my Sir Henry drawing from Manchester Museum of Science and Industry. Comes on a CD and is very much of the general arrangement type. The museum holds many BP drawings, though the site can be difficult to search - or was when I used it. A telephone call was very helpful.

When the site was redesigned, it became almost impossible to search. 

There's a GA for the Great Central 9P which I know they have, but MMSI seems unable to find it.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Nestor said:

A question for those modelling the broad gauge in 4mm, where can you source axles? Would standard gauge S scale ones work? And am I right in thinking that at one time Alan Gibson did one?

Nestor 

It varies some modelers turn their own either with a lathe or using a drill and file, Ultrascale will supply high quality 21mm wheel sets to order with a 9-12 month lead time, 28mm axles may be available through the Scalefour Society, North Yard in New Zealand produce a 28mmX 2.03 pinpoint coated brass axle for Sn3.5. 

There is also the alternative of cutting and extending a standard 26mm axle using 2mm bore brass tube as a sleeve.

• Like 2

Wagon and coach stock on Fintonagh [7mm scale but 21mm gauge] uses 4mm scale wheels with axles replaced with 2mm brass rod. I twirl the ends of the rod between my fingers against a spinning slitting disc in the Dremel. Crude, but effective, while using brass instead of steel for the axles means they aren't attracted to uncoupling magnets I use with Kadees.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/5/2020 at 12:42 PM, Mayner said:

It varies some modelers turn their own either with a lathe or using a drill and file, Ultrascale will supply high quality 21mm wheel sets to order with a 9-12 month lead time, 28mm axles may be available through the Scalefour Society, North Yard in New Zealand produce a 28mmX 2.03 pinpoint coated brass axle for Sn3.5. 

There is also the alternative of cutting and extending a standard 26mm axle using 2mm bore brass tube as a sleeve.

Ultrascale can supply Irish standard axles on a quicker turnaround time than 9 months, BTW. 

• Like 1