Sure it's only gas...

Rate this topic

Just a few pictures of my Athearn RTR Veranda Gas Turbine. I have to say it's one sweet model, and I picked it up in Brooklyn a couple of years ago for a really good price for what you get.

Nice box, if you're into that sort of thing...

It came without sound, and while I'm still unsure if I like sound fitted models or not, I thought this would be one that would need sound. I got this great QSI sound kit from Ulrich Models http://www.ulrichmodels.biz/servlet/the-589/Athearn-Veranda-Turbine-QSI/Detail which came set up with dual speakers all wired up and ready to plant in. It was a bit of a squeeze to get everything in but I managed to do it with a bit of fettling.

I took some photos of the installation but I can't find my hard drive at the moment! When I find it I'll stick up the pics.

Turbine4.jpg

Turbine3.jpg

Turbine1.jpg

Turbine2.jpg

Turbine9.jpg

Turbine4.jpg

Turbine3.jpg

Turbine1.jpg

Turbine2.jpg

Turbine9.jpg

A few more pics...

And some video footage on A4Mallard's old layout. We couldn't run it with the tender due to clearance issues with the tunnels. The turbines had a small diesel engine which was used for shunting and tootling around depots which you hear first before the turbine kicks in.

It runs, looks and sounds fantastic!

Turbine8.jpg

Turbine7.jpg

Turbine6.jpg

Turbine5.jpg

Turbine8.jpg

Turbine7.jpg

Turbine6.jpg

Turbine5.jpg

Lovely model, Fran. I have a soft spot for the Union Pacific GTELs.

What are the chances of a 'Big Blow' model hitting the shelves? :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPh1JkIhoOk

I dunno mate, Athearn were able to use the chassis off this under the standard Turbine and the U50 diesels too, but the way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I would defo have to get one, and fit that with sound too.

Still contemplating a Genesis DDA40X when they come out. Expensive, with two motors and two sound chips, but awesome locos! Trouble is they usually ran in pairs with a SD40-2, so I'd have to buy two!

[video=youtube;AcPk5DCw6-g]

Still contemplating a Genesis DDA40X when they come out. Expensive, with two motors and two sound chips, but awesome locos! Trouble is they usually ran in pairs with a SD40-2, so I'd have to buy two!

[video=youtube;AcPk5DCw6-g]

Doesn't a single Centennial haul the UP directors' specials? That'd be an excuse to just buy one - although you'd then have to pick up a rake of coaches instead! :P

Nice. The DDA40X just about squeeze into the timeline I'm aiming for with my UP N scale stuff... although the Sprectrum loco would need a bit of work to bring it up to standard.

If it's anything like the HO one it would need some serious work. The Genesis one is shaping up well luckily...

http://www.athearn.com/Content/Images/Home/glamour/DDA-40X-Centennial.jpg