V-signs

Rate this question

jhayes

Question

Hi folks , new to this not one of you guys e.g: out photographing and chasing the railways but love the rail sites and pictures. I'll be on posting and that but not to yer level .... but anyway on the Nenagh-Limerick branch I've noticed me some very new white and black shiny signs that contain the letter V on them please please explain ?:confused:

14 answers to this question

Hi folks ' date=' new to this not one of you guys e.g: out photographing and chasing the railways but love the rail sites and pictures. I'll be on posting and that but not to yer level .... but anyway on the Nenagh-Limerick branch I've noticed me some very new white and black shiny signs that contain the letter V on them please please explain ?:confused:[/quote']

Welcome to the site jhayes,

In answer to your question-the'V'boards are known as Vegitation boards and they are located at accommodation level crossings where the view from the crossing is limited,e.g on a curve

The local permanent way inspector normally monitors these boards from the crossing on a monthly basis-and if at any stage he can't see these V boards from a safe point on the crossing due to briars or small trees blocking the view,then a hedge cutting machine is brought in to clear the area,

The V boards were introduced by IE after an accident two years ago between a freight train and a tractor in which the farmer was unfortunately killed-and were recommended by the rail safety commission.

Hope this answers your question.

isnt it a pity that the foynes depot/station has been let fall into such a state ? in looking at old pics and having been there many moons ago, it was and hopefully will be a beautiful active rail yard. i remember a pic of a metro vic pulling a rake of mogol ore wagons - they are without dought in my mind the most unusual and attractive wagons that ever graced irish metals!

No bother Broithe glad to help. Yes thats the one Heirflick thats the link , those Foynes trains were my absolute favourite especially the ones that brought barytes from Silvermines to Foynes and the speed they'd pick up as they passed Rosbrien L.C and into the countryside with the engine thumping and the old horn that could be heard for miles oh to go back to see just one !!!!