J15 Sound decoder

Rate this question

scahalane

Question

I'm looking to get a sound decoder for my OO Works J15. Whats the best way to do this? I know Wheeltappers do a chip and sound file but do I have to send my Loco to them or can I order a chip and do it myself (never hard wired a decoder chip before).  Any advise would be great.

6 answers to this question

31 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Bought 2 of these for a project

Only found out when I bought them that it is recommended not to chip them

It negates their warranty

Thought that was a bit cheeky considering the price that was paid!

Ya saw that as well. A bit rich alright but I'm willing to give up the warranty to have some nice shuffing sounds!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, scahalane said:

I'm looking to get a sound decoder for my OO Works J15. Whats the best way to do this? I know Wheeltappers do a chip and sound file but do I have to send my Loco to them or can I order a chip and do it myself (never hard wired a decoder chip before).  Any advise would be great.

Sent my J15 to Neil (wheeltappers) who fitted the chip, speaker and lights. It’s very tight for space to fit decoder and speaker so I felt safer sending the loco to the expert. I could have saved a few bob by trying to fit it myself, but in the end opted for certainty. Short clip below.

• Like 1

Cheers Noel, that looks and sounds like the business. Where did you get your lights from?

5 hours ago, murrayec said:

@scahalane

Go for an ESU V5 chip, something like a J72 would probably work- Peters Spares have a good range of sound chips.

If a model has been opened by the end user most manufacturing warranty are voided!

Eoin

Thanks Murrayec, but I wouldn't know where to start on fitting one myself..electrics are not my thing.