Modelling in the virus

Rate this topic

David Holman

Is it me or has there been a real upsurge in model making on the Forum during lockdown. Lots more people seem to be having a go and I think it is wonderful. Inspiration comes in many forms, much as we admire the creations of our top contributors, such skills are not achieved overnight as you need lots of practice. In many ways, a bit like learning a musical instrument I guess. However, I think it is just as inspiring to see folk taking the first steps towards making something, or indeed returning to the fold after a sabbatical. Mine by the way was pushing up the value of brewery shares and chasing girls in my late teens/early 20s - a common affliction I hear.

I few years ago, remember talking to a trader at the Chatham show about the decline in people making their own 'stuff'. His response was to show me a model greenhouse, complete and painted, but which a customer has just rejected because 'it had no plants in it.' 

I can appreciate why somebody would want to buy a locomotive rather than scratch build it, but actually the journey to that starts with things like putting plants in a model greenhouse or having a go at a wagon or building kit. How far you go along that route depends a lot on how you get on and where your interests lie, but personally I think it is great to see new and returning contributors on the Forum. It is the ideal antidote to not getting to exhibitions, while the advice and support that is so readily given is just wonderful. 

• Like 7

There was an interesting article in the MRJ about treating model making as a Mindfulness exercise which rings particularly true in a time of stress.

The article was about focusing on a single simple project such as a small shed that could be completed to a high standard using readily available preferably natural materials such as wood or card to shut out distractions by keeping the mind fully occupied. 

Working from home the lockdown made relatively little difference to my working routine, the  I found  3-4 days spent on small building project was a nice change from my usual routine.

• Like 1

Yes, I read that. Interesting to see who it was by, too - Maurice Hopper. His speciality is S scale, building small layouts that he actually transports to shows by train. Working in S means he pretty much has to make everything by hand and there’s obviously a limit on how large his layouts can be. It’s an interesting philosophy. The late David Lloyd - who built fine Irish NG stuff - had a related approach - modelling was a holistic pursuit which also involved Purcell on the record player and something decent in a glass.

Edited by Galteemore