Pick up/power issues

Rate this question

djkonore

Question

I'm running 3x 141/181's on my layout, but all of which are having power pick up issues. They're lights are flickering, sound interruptions and completely stop at times. I cleaned the track with track cleaner which has worked well in the past, but didn't solve it completely this time. I'm getting between 12.5v and 12.6v all around the track, although I'm just running one set of wires to the track right now, but it did happen before with several feeder wires running to the tracks. I think it must be the power is not getting to he motors via the wheels. Is there a good way to clean the wheels/ pick ups? I tried track cleaner on cotton buds but it didn't work. Thanks guys.

11 answers to this question

There is a small problem with some of the circuit boards on the 141/181 the very fine copper circuit that runs down each side of the board from the pickup wire to the decoder harness can burn out. Its an easy fix as all you have to do is solder on a couple of wires to replace the burnt out circuit. Take the body off and check out the circuits you will clearly see if they have burnt out on you.

Well I checked the circuit board in the worst effected 141 and everything seemed to be fine so I ran them all again. I noticed then that certain parts of the track were effecting every engine, so it had to be the track. I went over the track again with cleaning fluid for a second time and this greatly improved it. I couldn't see any residue on the track with the naked eye, but I could see black stains on the cotton buds so there was obviously still some grime there. I guess I better not leave it so long between running times again! Thanks again for your input guys. Thankfully it was an easy fix!

Well I checked the circuit board in the worst effected 141 and everything seemed to be fine so I ran them all again. I noticed then that certain parts of the track were effecting every engine, so it had to be the track. I went over the track again with cleaning fluid for a second time and this greatly improved it. I couldn't see any residue on the track with the naked eye, but I could see black stains on the cotton buds so there was obviously still some grime there. I guess I better not leave it so long between running times again! Thanks again for your input guys. Thankfully it was an easy fix!

Conor nickle silver rail has a habit of getting very dirty even if it is not visible to the naked eye. This can lead to deposits adhering to the wheels of rolling stock and being spread around the layout. Always keep wheels and rails clean even if not running anything for a period of time.

Rich,

There is a small problem with some of the circuit boards on the 141/181 the very fine copper circuit that runs down each side of the board from the pickup wire to the decoder harness can burn out. Its an easy fix as all you have to do is solder on a couple of wires to replace the burnt out circuit. Take the body off and check out the circuits you will clearly see if they have burnt out on you.

Anto, can you give me any more info on this fault?

I picked up a 141 cheap on Ebay a while back which I discovered was'nt picking up at all on one bogie. I could'nt see anything wrong with the board and ended up soldering the pickup wires from the dodgy bogey to where the other bogie's wires connect to the circuit board. Since then, it has run perfectly.

Anto, can you give me any more info on this fault?

I picked up a 141 cheap on Ebay a while back which I discovered was'nt picking up at all on one bogie. I could'nt see anything wrong with the board and ended up soldering the pickup wires from the dodgy bogey to where the other bogie's wires connect to the circuit board. Since then, it has run perfectly.

If I get time over the next day or two I will take some pics of a faulty board and show you how to fix it. If I don't get back to you by midweek remind me as my heads all over the place at the minute. :o

I'm running 3x 141/181's on my layout, but all of which are having power pick up issues. They're lights are flickering, sound interruptions and completely stop at times. I cleaned the track with track cleaner which has worked well in the past, but didn't solve it completely this time. I'm getting between 12.5v and 12.6v all around the track, although I'm just running one set of wires to the track right now, but it did happen before with several feeder wires running to the tracks. I think it must be the power is not getting to he motors via the wheels. Is there a good way to clean the wheels/ pick ups? I tried track cleaner on cotton buds but it didn't work. Thanks guys.

I'm just test this out at the moment and getting good results at the moment.

The other thing to look out for is loose fish plates.

Wiggy.

[video=youtube;twh-ms-ITLE]