50 shade of green

Rate this topic

Midland Man

When looking at some pics of 800 Meadh I noticed something. There is quite a few shades of green on the engine. This is not a shadow or the sunlight. Drew Donaldson said that Meadh was painted in GSR green. Could he be right as the is many different shades on the engine. Here is some of the shades.

image.jpeg.dfc4526f994b7c7dc4f38f9efdcb012b.jpeg

image.jpeg.3937bce0bffc21547d428296a908ca0c.jpeg

image.jpeg.531b4ed1d788d8cf130c00e1b8cadc65.jpeg

image.jpeg.5f8dc7dc8b68cfb2b7280e3a70e08e60.jpeg

image.jpeg.679c81d19942890e4af5c7c2cb8c89fa.jpeg

Hope you all like.

MM

Edit: I don't think any are GSR green but may be a Mix of different greens used by CIE/GSR.

No, Drew was unfortunately responsible for sowing much confusion about green colours - and wrong information!

800 was repainted in standard, ordinary CIE green in Inchicore before she left for Belfast. Thus, the green is CIE and the lining is CIE style. the variations in your photos are nothing more than the lighting in the museum. In daylight she's all the same.

When built, she and her two sisters were painted a different shade of green, which they lost at first repaint into CIE livery after 1945. The GSR style still exists - ironically, on three models in the Fry collection which were never green at all! The trio of 800s had yellow and black lining, not the CIE black and white. Frames were green too on both GSR & CIE versions.

There were three CIE greens in total. What 800 is in today, plus several preserved buses, is "standard" green, used the whole time 1945-63 on buses and road vehicles, and the few steam engines which weren't grey, and on carriages up to the mid-1950s.

Around 1952 there was an experimental slightly lighter shade, the details of which have not survived. This was briefly applied to either 801 or 802 (I'd have to look it up) and one rake of new main line coaches. the powers that be apparently didn't like it, and standard green was used to repaint them.

After 1955, carriages ONLY (not steam engines or road vehicles), plus repaints of (dirty) "silver" diesel locos, was in the lighter green seen in pictures of these in the late 50s / early 60s.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Midland Man said:

OPPs

You are right JHB and I am wrong.

Meadh out side on the Belfast main line.

image.thumb.png.b815f3c0aef72a16eb81a1190e9d9e05.png

Hope you all like.

MM

Edit: I Feel as stupid as Douglal right now.I can live with it.

🙂  🙂  🙂  

Do you know what - it was an absolutely miserable, dark dreary wet day when they moved her from Adelaide to Cultra; almost impossible to get a decent photo, but that looks good!

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1

Thanks JHb.

It comes from a video that shows the mea....... You know what I am not going to say it. Not saying that it will ..... Saying it is like invading Poland. I think I did the right thing.

MM

Edit: don't feel like Douglal anymore. Liverpool won the league. You will never walk alone!!!!!!

Edited by Midland Man