BASEBOARDS

Rate this question

burnthebox

Question

Hi guys, thought I’d ask this as I know it’s early for me giving the fact I don’t have a layout just yet but if I can as much information as possible that will help me in the long run, and the question i have is this, what wood, type of wood is best suited for baseboards, TIA

BTB

4 answers to this question

On 8/2/2020 at 12:29 AM, burnthebox said:

Hi guys, thought I’d ask this as I know it’s early for me giving the fact I don’t have a layout just yet but if I can as much information as possible that will help me in the long run, and the question i have is this, what wood, type of wood is best suited for baseboards, TIA

BTB

Hi Paul. Horses for courses, different materials work for different folk. I used 9mm marine ply on Kingdbridge when I built the boards 27 years ago. Heavy and not suitable for a portable layout. Built upon 2"x1" formers with 1"x3" on the edges for rigidity.  More recently I've used the WMRC box construction sections method with 6mm ply for the top. See below:

IMG_8250.jpg

IMG_8255.jpg

IMG_9163.jpg

Laser cut to size by a company in Dublin, very quick to build using a heat gun, smaller pieces easy to assemble, and reinforced joint by fibreglass webbing underneath using PVA instead of resin. Each board is 2ft x 5ft so fits in a car and lightweight so can be turned on their side for wiring, etc. I'm unable to crawl around under baseboards anymore. Very stable and will not warp or sag in time. Sealed with paint for stability from moisture. Takes track pins well.

I used 3mm closed cell foam to cover the entire board with a second layer under the track for ballast. This offers good sound insulation as ballast PVA will never come into contact with the ply baseboard creating a sound bridge. Have fun.

https://www.efoam.co.uk/closed-cell-polyethylene-foam.php#sheet1

I tried MDF 30 years ago but found it unstable long term and it was a complete PITA as it would not take track pins. Not as good with damp cold air as plywood from a stability point of view.

Edited by Noel

Many thanks Noel,  but to demonstrate how ignorant I am regarding these “ Boards “ for want of a better word, or whatever they ar3, please tell me what WMRC stand for, & please say it has nothing to do with Women’s Rugby...!! I’m also wondering about Floorboards, ie pine or something like these that lie flat, is there something I’m missing about the these as well...😃

BTB