unknown rolling stock

Rate this question

brianmcs

Question

7 answers to this question

I cannot say for certain, what where or which company ran the Locomotive or Rail-bus. My best Guess is. Locomotive - GNR(I) Railbus - Dublin and Blessington.

The Locomotive. This picture has a number of wagons in the background, unfortunately, it is impossible for me to determine whether, or not, they are Vans or Cattle Wagons Were they Cattle Wagons the locomotive could be shunting those wagons from the Cattle Shipper which ran from the West of Ireland to Belfast for onward sea crossing to Scotland. All guesswork on my behalf.

The Railbus. The Dublin and Blessington gauge was five foot three and this image gives me the impression that the railbus is on tracks of this width. I've discounted the Dublin United Tramways line to Lucan. It was electrified and regauged to five feet three inches when taken into DUTC ownership; so there was no need to run a railbus on it. In addition,  I cannot remember any building of the type in your photograph being on this tramway line. I lived in a property beside the line in Palmerstown and travelled to Lucan.

Edited by Old Blarney
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Top loco looks very much like a GNRI JT class. The dress code suggests 20s-30s and the boys look dressed in a Scout uniform of sorts 

The photos are from scouting Ireland's collection . One of them has the number 94 on the back , could this be the number of the loco ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Blarney said:

I cannot say for certain, what where or which company ran the Locomotive or Rail-bus. My best Guess is. Locomotive - GNR(I) Railbus - Dublin and Blessington.

The Locomotive. This picture has a number of wagons in the background, unfortunately, it is impossible for me to determine whether, or not, they are Vans or Cattle Wagons Were they Cattle Wagons the locomotive could be shunting those wagons from the Cattle Shipper which ran from the West of Ireland to Belfast for onward sea crossing to Scotland. All guesswork on my behalf.

The Railbus. The Dublin and Blessington gauge was five foot three and this image gives me the impression that the railbus is on tracks of this width. I've discounted the Dublin United Tramways line to Lucan. It was electrified and regauged to five feet three inches when taken into DUTC ownership; so there was no need to run a railbus on it. In addition,  I cannot remember any building of the type in your photograph being on this tramway line. I lived in a property beside the line in Palmerstown and travelled to Lucan.

Many thanks for your help. there are a couple of photos on this page where the roof of the building in the background matches the one in my photo. This suggests it was taken at the Templeogue depot . http://www.tramwaybadgesandbuttons.com/page148/page149/styled-238/page661.html

• Like 1

The locomotive is a Great Northern loco of a type used (latterly, at any rate) on the Dublin - Howth, Belfast docks area, and the Belturbet - Ballyhaise branch.

The Ford railbus was one of a pair that the Dublin & Blessington Tramway had built in 1928 to carry mails and off-peak services. They were underpowered and lightly built, and soon were worn out. One ended up only fit to take mailbags and was scrapped, with the other soldiering on to the end. Its body was bought by the County Donegal Railways and made into a narrow-gauge railcar trailer, in which guise it lasted into the 1950s.

This 2nd pic is particularly interesting in that it may be in the rarely-photographed walled Terenure terminus, and shows the peculiar terminus building and ticket office on the left. It’s been mentioned in another answer as Templeogue; the buildings were similar and this is possible too.

2 hours ago, brianmcs said:

The photos are from scouting Ireland's collection . One of them has the number 94 on the back , could this be the number of the loco ?

Tis indeed what it is.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1