Weedsprayer Coach

Rate this question

Barl

Question

Rather than hijacking the thread on the release of the weedsprayer wagons, I said I'd ask the question here.

What is the best option for modelling the Mk1 Weedsprayer Coach? 

I know about the Silverfox model and I'm assuming Glendergs overlays are no longer available? Are the Mousa overlays a good option? 

If so is the Bachmann Mk1 the best option to convert? I have used this method previously for a GSV but there doesn't seem to be many available on eBay or elsewhere at the moment.

• Like 4

6 answers to this question

The Mousa models overlay is only suitable for the current RPSI 3173 gen van or the CIE/IR 3171-3175 series gen vans, which have the Guards compartment at one end only,

The weed spray coach 3187 had the Guards compartment located in the centre of the coach so the only option would be to alter a Bachmann BR MK1 BG brake coach to suit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

5 hours ago, ttc0169 said:

The Mousa models overlay is only suitable for the current RPSI 3173 gen van or the CIE/IR 3171-3175 series gen vans, which have the Guards compartment at one end only,

The weed spray coach 3187 had the Guards compartment located in the centre of the coach so the only option would be to alter a Bachmann BR MK1 BG brake coach to suit.

The Bachmann BR Mk1 BG Brake coach is not suitable to convert to a weed spray coach as it scales at 57ft length. The weed spray coach is 63ft length. A better option is to use a Brake 2nd BSK coach, which is what the weed spray coach originated from having been a GSV which was a BSK before conversion. The length is spot on, and what windows are left are in the exact same position as a BSK. The one exception is the small window almost in the centre of the coach. 

• Informative 1

On 8/30/2020 at 8:09 PM, Dhu Varren said:

The Bachmann BR Mk1 BG Brake coach is not suitable to convert to a weed spray coach as it scales at 57ft length. The weed spray coach is 63ft length. A better option is to use a Brake 2nd BSK coach, which is what the weed spray coach originated from having been a GSV which was a BSK before conversion. The length is spot on, and what windows are left are in the exact same position as a BSK. The one exception is the small window almost in the centre of the coach. 

Thanks for the helpful replies. Would you know if the Bachmann BSK is the only one that is the correct length or would the Mainline version be an option also? 

Is the Hornby version a re-released Lima model? 

Yes, the Mainline version would be an option. The current Hornby BSK is an up to date version of a coach going back to the 1960s when it was introduced under the Tri-ang label. The Lima BSK would also be suitable. All three of these are the correct 63ft length, just different methods of construction. I have an old Lima BSK which I intend to convert into a weed spray coach.

The Hornby, Lima and possibly Mainline BSK coaches were basically stretched versions of the BR 57' Full Brake to fit a standard BR MK1 63 or was it 64' coach chassis.

The Hornby, Lima and Mainline BR Full Brakes are a reasonable starting point for a modeler planning to scratchbuild new sides or use Bill Bedford (Mousa Models) etched overlays.

A Bachmann Brake Composite (BCK) or Brake 2nd (BSK) would be a better option for a modeler who intends to build a BR Van or the Weedspray coach by modifying a rtr model.

Personally I am tempted to build a van using a combination of Comet parts and Mousa Models sides.

There is nothing 'stretched' about Hornby, lima or Mainline BSK coaches. They are all correct length models of the BR BSK.

However, the Hornby and Lima Full Brake coach models, (Mainline never produced one), have been stretched in order to utilise the tooling that already existed for the  other correct length Mk 1 coaches in the range. The BR Mk1 coach bodies were 64'ft 6ins, if gangways fitted, mounted on a 63ft 5in chassis. The exception to this was the BG Full Brake, and some non-corridor suburban coaches, which were on 57ft chassis. The shorter length was to allow greater route availability.

If using Mousa Models etched overlays, any of the Hornby, Lima or Mainline Mk1 coaches would be suitable as would the Bachmann Mk1s except for the BG Full Brake. 

If building a BR GSV by modifying a RTR coach, for one type, 3171 - 3176, a Bachmann BCK has the correct window spacings, some of which need to be blanked off.  For the other type, 3177 - 3192, the Hornby, Lima, Mainline or Bachmann BSK all have the correct window spacings, some of which need to be blanked off.

If building a weed spray coach by modifying a RTR coach, the donor vehicle needs to be a Hornby, Lima, Mainline or Bachmann BSK all have the correct window spacings, some of which need to be blanked off.   

Edited by Dhu Varren