Borris Viaduct now open to Visitors

Rate this topic

Edo

The revamp of the viaduct in Borris is nearly complete and its now open to visitors to traverse.

Needless to say - the Health and Safety commissars have had their say ( how in gods name did countless generations of Borris Youth play on the viaduct for over 150 years and nobody fell off) and the new structures have provoked mixed comment to put it politely.

That said - Carlow County Council have made a fair stab at it and , a few minor details aside - have done a great job on it and it will hopefully be the start of a tourist greenway down the old Bagnalstown - Palace East line - a feasibility study has been greenlighted. Given that the last train ran in 1963 and there is more a chance of Andorra launching a mission to Mars in the next 50 years than a working rail line ever coming back here - I think its safe to say a Greenway will do more to preserve the memory of the line than anything else.

Photos courtesy of my Dad (plus a few from the family archive!) as I'm living in the Mid West and travelling to Carlow is a no no for me given Covid Restrictions until later this month when I intend a flying visit.

IMG-20201026-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20201026-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20201010-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20201010-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20201211-WA0061.jpg

IMG-20201211-WA0067.jpg

IMG-20201211-WA0036.jpg

IMG-20201211-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20201211-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20201211-WA0022.jpg

IMG-20201211-WA0026.jpg

IMG-20201211-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20201211-WA0031.jpg

IMG-20201211-WA0074.jpg

IMG-20201211-WA0033.jpg

IMG-20201211-WA0002.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Wexford70 said:

Walked it the other week. Very Impressive. What happened to the end towards the town, was it originally as large earth bank?

Yes - it was orginally an embankment 

What happened was that the Vocational school which was orginally built to the side of the embankment - it was massively extended in the 80s and the embankment was taken away to allow for this extension and new playing fields.................It was chosen over 3 other secondary schools in the area to be the designated community school for the area and it got loads of development money...I do remember there was unhappiness about the alignment being taken away as it was a very popular walk in the town for everybody - suggestions were made about making a tunnel through the embankment....all came to naught.........the school principal at the time was the sister of the local FF td............you know the way these things went....the railway was a thing of the past to be swept away....

2 pictures of the school - the embankment continues  to the right behind the buildings here - Borris House is the big building in the trees to the left.

IMG-20201211-WA0019.jpg

IMG-20201211-WA0060.jpg

Edited by Edo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Edo said:

Yes - it was orginally an embankment 

...................I do remember there was unhappiness about the alignment being taken away as it was a very popular walk in the town for everybody - suggestions were made about making a tunnel through the embankment....all came to naught.........the school principal at the time was the sister of the local FF td............you know these things went....the railway was a thing of the past to be swept away....

The gombeen men are alive and well! Thank you, FF.............

"Needless to say - the Health and Safety commissars have had their say ( how in gods name did countless generations of Borris Youth play on the viaduct for over 150 years and nobody fell off) and the new structures have provoked mixed comment to put it politely."

There is an interesting clip on youtube when 'Off the Beaten Track' was filmed.

No health and safety concerns then or worries about setting a bad example for the wild youth of the day lol

Borris.png

• Like 1