Dusting off the N Gauge

Rate this topic

Besides dabbling indoors in Irish Modelling on the Broad and Narrow Gauges and a G Scale American Narrow Gauge layout, I also had a fair interest in American N Scale.

I dusted off a pair of modules based on the One Trak concept that I started in Dublin in the late 90s basically to see if they are worth re-using.

Snowbirds and U Boats

A pair of Atlas LV Snowbirds approaching the yard. In the background a D&H SD45 leads a consist of Kato U30s & SD45s

Across the bridge mixed D&H power wait on the yard lead and loco servicing tracks.

The original modules used to live on a shelf above the workbench which could be operated as a switching layout and were later incorporated into an attic layout.

Grain Elevator and Yard Throat Module

The modules are based on the idea of two railroads entering a shared yard.

The Downtown Module

Walthers and DPM warehousing in the background.

The model is based on elements from Binghampton, New York where the DLWR and Erie had parrallel lines through the city centre.

Sharks and U Boats

I could not resist this probably the best and the worst real and model! Atlas U23Bs and E-R Models (Bachmann) Sharks.

John

DSCF5484.jpg

DSCF5511.jpg

DSCF5506.jpg

DSCF5502.jpg

DSCF5477.jpg

DSCF5484.jpg

DSCF5511.jpg

DSCF5506.jpg

DSCF5502.jpg

DSCF5477.jpg

Edited by Mayner

Excellent, John! Don't the D&H still have a Baldwin shark hidden away in one of their workshops?

I also have a US-outline interchange yard layout in the pipline - a modified version of a plan I got from 'Shortliner' on RMWeb. Mine will be a Union Pacific/Southern Pacific facility set in the California during the 1960s-'70s.

Excellent, John! Don't the D&H still have a Baldwin shark hidden away in one of their workshops?

I also have a US-outline interchange yard layout in the pipline - a modified version of a plan I got from 'Shortliner' on RMWeb. Mine will be a Union Pacific/Southern Pacific facility set in the California during the 1960s-'70s.

The Sharks went to the Escanba & Lake Superior in Upper Michigan. There is speculation whether the Sharks still exist, its alleged that

its alleged that the owner has kept them hidden away for over 20 years after a bad experience with Railfans.

ELSR have/had a fleet of Baldwin Switchers and Road Locos http://www.railroadmichigan.com/mign1216s1.jpg

John

Cheers, John. Now that you mention it, the ELSR does ring a bell. I seem to remember seeing a photo taken just a few years ago where the photographer just happened to be passing their workshops and spotted the Shark out in the open during a switch move. Can't find it now, unfortunately. :confused:

Patrick thats a brilliant article explains a lot about the Sharks.

What an amazing story the D&H only had them for about 4 years having got them in 1974 from a scrap dealer in exchnge for some box cars, The ELSR basically siezed them from Castonite iin leiu of storage fees!

Warbonnet.

I could not resist a pair of Kato FA1s

John

Christmas 2005 PA1s.jpg

Christmas 2005 PA1s.jpg