Dublin-Sligo rail service under threat

Rate this topic

StevieB

Interesting piece https://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/sligo-dublin-rail-service-under-threat-35233693.html. Are things that bad? They must be. It appears that successive governments on both side of the Irish Sea seem unable to grasp what is required to run a successful railway system. Privatisation in the UK has as much to do with raising revenue as it does with providing a service.

Stephen

• Like 2

A few years ago I was advised by a member of the NTA that severe threats to the rail network were possible. Then whatever the perceived problem was, ended up being averted.

The harsh reality is that the railway has few friends in high places, as discussed before, and even within the company many at top level (not all) are way less enthusiastic about the future of the system than they should be.

One NTA member told me some years ago of being "shocked" at the degree of hostility to spending a red cent on the railway; "it's all about roads", he said.

52 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

A few years ago I was advised by a member of the NTA that severe threats to the rail network were possible. Then whatever the perceived problem was, ended up being averted.

The harsh reality is that the railway has few friends in high places, as discussed before, and even within the company many at top level (not all) are way less enthusiastic about the future of the system than they should be.

One NTA member told me some years ago of being "shocked" at the degree of hostility to spending a red cent on the railway; "it's all about roads", he said.

The NTA-= No Trains Authority....useless shower of incompetents. 😜

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ttc0169 said:

The NTA-= No Trains Authority....useless shower of incompetents. 😜

Sadly, very much so. You'll be aware, ttc, of the same sources that I refer to above and previously - 1950s Stormont would be proud of them. They need to get the west properly up and running, and a Dublin Underground. But no - instead they prefer paying the shareholders of foreign private companies to drive big new blue buses all round Dublin.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StevieB said:

Interesting piece https://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/sligo-dublin-rail-service-under-threat-35233693.html. Are things that bad? They must be. It appears that successive governments on both side of the Irish Sea seem unable to grasp what is required to run a successful railway system. Privatisation in the UK has as much to do with raising revenue as it does with providing a service.

Stephen

That article was 2016, so perhaps four years out of date? 

PS: The need for urgent climate action and a green at the cabinet may help rail funding in the short term