'Anything goes' coaching stock formation

Rate this topic

Excuse the photo quality (I'd borrowed the family digital camera for the day but it wasn't the most advanced, nor was I ;) ), but the stock formation might be interesting to some.

184 on a stock transfer at Connolly, consisting of: mkIId Restaurant, mkIId standard, BR van and another mkIId standard.

29th October 2005.

Dublin Connolly 29th October 2005 020.jpg

Dublin Connolly 29th October 2005 027.jpg

Dublin Connolly 29th October 2005 003.jpg

Edited by Niles
  • Like 5

On 5/2/2021 at 2:14 PM, jhb171achill said:

It wouldn't be a train make-up, as such, as a BR genny van couldn't operate with AC coaches. Just random stuff coupled together; a cattle truck in the middle of such a string of vehicles would have been just as likely a generation earlier!

While this is undoubtedly an ECS working, in one of the IRRS Journals of the 1970s I do remember reading of an unusual working in the news section - an orthodox set on a Dublin-Cork working augmented by two Mk2D standards and EGV on the rear. All conveying passengers as far as I could make out.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

While this is undoubtedly an ECS working, in one of the IRRS Journals of the 1970s I do remember reading of an unusual working in the news section - an orthodox set on a Dublin-Cork working augmented by two Mk2D standards and EGV on the rear. All conveying passengers as far as I could make out.

They couldn’t have done that as the electrics and gangways were incompatible unless each set had a genny, which is possibly what you suggest that the article implied?

Would it not be more likely the ones on the end were empty, ie being conveyed somewhere?

If you could narrow it down I could look up the journals....

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

Interesting - I've seen pics of Cravens and/or BR vans transferred on the back of mkII sets but not with pax.

It would also suggest that the train changed from screw link to buckeyed couplings midway.

• Like 1