Irish Railway Film Show - "1960's & 1970's" by Tom Dowling/Ciarán Cooney

Rate this topic

Georgeconna

• 1 month later...

This is a great watch! While listening to the commentary on the main subject matter is what is in the ensuing train or background. Equally interesting when you get near the 45 min mark are the sheer number of laminate such as composites, converted brake seconds, side corridor seconds running summer specials on the Cork-Youghal line. While I appreciate these are secondary stock the still operating in some volume in BnT in this video c. 1974 per the presenter Ciaran Cooney. What I didn't really expect to see was several GSR stock with running boards in BnT livery in that decade!

Some other oddities of interest might be the gas tank drawn by a green A Class at 12:49. One of these has been modeled by a site member for use behind model steam traction but interesting to see it in in several places behind a prototypical diesel A class

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1

On 22/5/2021 at 6:42 PM, DiveController said:

This is a great watch! While listening to the commentary on the main subject matter is what is in the ensuing train or background. Equally interesting when you get near the 45 min mark are the sheer number of laminate such as composites, converted brake seconds, side corridor seconds running summer specials on the Cork-Youghal line. While I appreciate these are secondary stock the still operating in some volume in BnT in this video c. 1974 per the presenter Ciaran Cooney. What I didn't really expect to see was several GSR stock with running boards in BnT livery in that decade!

Some other oddities of interest might be the gas tank drawn by a green A Class at 12:49. One of these has been modeled by a site member for use behind model steam traction but interesting to see it in in several places behind a prototypical diesel A class

Old GSR stuff such as Bredins - and much earlier (GSWR) all-wooden stock, with old double footboards, even a few non-corridor ones, were used on Dublin and Cork local services until 1974; even longer in the north, with the very last GNR and NCC coaches (now converted to railcar intermediates), in use until 1980 / 81.

• Informative 1