Nir 546

Rate this question

Glenderg

Question

I put up a request for any information on this coach, and the thread went dead as soon as it went alive. A kindly soul texted me with a few photos, and I thought it would be handy to post it here, if I got hit by a bus etc.

"To stock 1982, Grill/Bar/Dining Car

546 ex 5970 (TSO) and RSS 1800 - Mk 2f TSO: converted 1974 to prototype self-service buffet for APT-P."

This is most fantastic bit. They took a stock coach and fecked about with the interior to see how it would work as an APT coach. It didn't work, so they reverted it to RSS.

RSS you ask? Restaurant Self Service - a version of motorway services, where you perused and purchased and turned up at the till. Sounds mighty miserable.

"To Northern Ireland Railways 1983, regauged to 5' 3". When withdrawn, repatriated regauged as No. 1800. 2003 Overhauled at Heysham to become part of Wessex Trains Excalibur set as 1800. 2009 now based at Carnforth, although still operating as part of same set."

546.jpg

546_1.jpg

NIR 546 - 1800weymouth290706.jpg

11 answers to this question

I don't, Glenderg - time stopped for me after Cravens. BR Mk 1, 2 & 3 stuff to me is.... I'm afraid......

(sorry, I dozed off there. Where were we?) :-)

I have to say, though, in that form in England it looks amazing. None of the NIR liveries, nor even the BR blue and grey, made it look as well. As for the brief insipid light grey and light blue of NIR, probably the drabbest and dullest livery ever!

As for the brief insipid light grey and light blue of NIR, probably the drabbest and dullest livery ever!

I have to agree that the original light grey and light blue livery was not very inspiring, but the addition of the white lines above and below the blue, did a lot to improve it. A bit like the IR tippex lines improved that livery.

Dhu V,

Many thanks for the photos above, even though I'd always thought that 904 was the special part of that BR photo, I hadn't spotted the oddball behind her.

Will make for an easy conversion, and an interesting one for the collection. I have to say though, that livery is quite striking, and perhaps looks better in 4mm than in 12" to the foot.

Richie.