-
Posts
1,129 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Blogs
Everything posted by Colin R
-
Me thinks there may have been a lot of coffee drinking going on in other emporiums today. Rails have slashed the price of Hornby TT, with a 47 now costing less than a ton. All I need to do is wait for them to reduce the price of the TT 0-6-0 chassis to something a bit more reasonable, and the credit card might take a bashing.
-
Hi Fran. An excellent response, glad it all went well over the weekend. I like the idea of working with heritage railway groups to bring certain models to the market. You will have seen a lot of grumbles about the Heljan 009 Lynton and Barnstaple Railway 2-6-2T model; sadly, it was down to a manufacturing issue rather than Heljan themselves. Once they moved production to another factory, the 2nd batch appeared to be much better. Sadly, the damage had already been done, and while the 009 world may be small beer, it is very hard to recover from something like this in such a small community. That said, I like the idea behind working to a time frame of say 3 to 4 years. There are a few full-sized 2ft gauge (009?) events coming up in the next few years, which might be worth looking at for long-term new narrow gauge models. Keep the good work going. Regards Colin Rainsbury
-
Of course, there is another side to this story. I am thinking Peco, they used to price things more expensively or at the RRP if you bought it from them directly, and you could always save a few bob at the local model shop. They reasoned that they wanted to support your local model shop. The fact that I still have a local model shop is unbelievable, to be honest (the signal cabin, Sidcup, Kent). It is right outside Sidcup railway station, so getting to it by Train or Bus is not a problem. I think we may see a two-tier model shop structure in time, one led by online manufacturers and the other very much based on the old Peco system of support for the small shop. Personally, I think we may be seeing the end of the big box shifters as they stand right now in our hobby, with Model Manufacturers taking not only more interest in the hobby and making sure the quality standard becomes much better (where have I heard this said before?) I think in the end, we, the modeller /collector, will be better off. Most of my modelling years have been based around 009, and very early Eggar was something else to behold. It was only after the Eggar Brothers left the company that 009 modelling became a joke, but from the early 1970s, when the 009 society had been formed, did things start to change for the better. Improvements in N gauge also helped as well. Today, we still have a large number of cottage industry manufacturers making stuff from Whitemetal, Brass etched kits, to 3D prints using N gauge Chassis. As I see it, our standard gauge (4ft 8.5 in) brothers have a lot of catching up to do, quality-wise. I also realise that the model manufacturers need to make money to stay in business, and hats off to everyone who has produced Irish prototype models in the past, Sure the market share is not huge for Irish models, but when IRM took the gamble and started their range, I would think they were not certain it would all sell and now by become part of Accurascale with the bigger BR market, it appear to be paying off. As far as I know, there are only two larger model railway markets than the UK-based one, and they are 1 the USA and 2 Japan (this may have changed since I last looked at it). I find the American Market hard to understand since it used to have a range of RTR manufacturers, down to the brass-etched kit guy. HOe (009 in these parts) has always been popular, but at the same time, they do like S scale modelling (somewhere between OO and O gauge). Now, as I see it. Bachmann is dominant in the American market, but could an Accurascale-style operation work over there? To be honest, why not? Rivarossi used to be a big name in both the European and American markets for steam locos in HO, but since it was taken over by Hornby, I think that has mainly stopped. But if you happen to like your diesels, then both America and Europe must have come up on the radar at some point, and this can only be a good thing for the likes of someone like Accurascale to tap into new markets, regardless of what the big box shifters have to say about it all
-
I wonder how many would convert to 7mm scale if that were the case. If I had both the money and space to do it, I could be persuaded
-
Yes, they do, and I do wonder if sometimes they drive the price so low that the manufacturer might only just be covering their costs, which should not be the case; there should be a gap for R&D in all the models, and to make a profit to cover all the running costs. When the likes of Hornby, etc. started to have the models made in China, everyone complained about the loss of manufacturing jobs in the UK and Europe at the time I see this as the next step in the modernisation of the modelling hobby
-
I am like you, I have taken them all out of the box to look at them, but running them? No chance at the moment. Over on a narrow gauge forum, one of the small UK kit manufacturers was going to look into producing a replacement brass chassis etched kit and valve gear, with new wheels coming from the former Markits Co. I have a feeling that once they started to look at the problem, they realised it would be too expensive to do. One finescale modeller has taken an old Backwoods L&BR brass chassis under the Heljan Body, and from what I can tell, it appears to work OK. There again, he has built his own to run on 8 mm gauge.
-
Yes, I think most Narrow Gauge modellers in 009 have faced that problem. I do have a fleet of all the Manning Wardles, which currently totals seven, some in independent livery and the rest in Southern Livery and 1 Black Baldwin. I have been after two other Baldwins, but I am told none are available any more. The 1st Batch was shocking and very disappointing; one of my first MW fell apart as I was taking it out of the box. Like many others, I emailed Heljan and received an apology and an email telling how I could fix the problem, or I could send it back for a replacement (which I did at the time). The fact that there are still a high number of these models out there with these problems will make any future narrow gauge modeller wary of buying any new model products coming from the Heljan stable. As a knock-on effect, the development of the much-awaited Vale of Rhediol 2-6-2T in 009 has stalled due to various internat changes at the promoters. Now, while several UK-designed steam locos would be welcomed in 009, Heljan's reputation has done it no favours. If the team behind the L&B manning wardle disaster wanted to have another go, but tried to get it right next time, I would suggest the Welsh Highland Railways 2-6-2T Russell as the first of a new 009 Hunslet Family, which could include locos from the Welshpool and Llanfair light railway and a number of other Hunslet designs in the long run using a tried, tested and most importantly a reliable chassis. Get the chassis right, and you will have every 009 modeller flocking to you on every release you do. Well, that's my cents' worth.
-
Yes, but Gaugemaster are a box shifter, and maybe this could work out well for all concerned. Accurascale makes them, and Gaugemaster moves them, shades of Dire Straits, Money for Nothing
-
If you really want to dominate the model railway world and you have the nous (and the money) to do so, I would take on the Markit range of components, such as wheels, axles, and locomotive and rolling stock detailing parts that can be used on whitemetal, resin, brass etch or 3d print models besides your own products.
-
A BIG WOW on this one! I know that Heljan are very good at producing limited-run locos across all the scales, some good and some not so good, but I think they will be a great fit for the ever-expanding Accurascale empire. I know we will all have our own wish lists of what we would like them to produce. Still, I can't help thinking that since Heljan's attempt at making the Lynton and Barnstaple locos in 009, there might now be a possibility that there may be an introduction of some OOn3 models, which might be based on Heljan's work in TT scale ( RTR Isle of Man 2-4-0T and rolling stock for starters and what about the West Clare Bogie Deisels and 6 wheeled clemson stock?). A modelling friend of mine, who just so happens to model European railways in 3mm scale, tells me that there are some interesting developments in that market as well.
-
Hi all, I hope this link works ORIGINAL 35mm slide - Irish Railways - Kilkenny station on 10.4.16 eBay item number:397729596555
-
- 1
-
-
I see some videos of Irish Steam have started to appear https://fb.watch/FQkqrCJOBb/
-
For some reason, O2 does not like to connect with the Irish phone system. I will have to try another email
-
Thanks, Paul. I will give them a call tomorrow Colin
-
Hi Guys Sorry to be a pain I wonder if someone can help me. I have been trying to call Marks Models on my mobile from the UK, but it appears it won't connect. I have also sent them an email (on Monday) as well. But so far, I have not had anything back. If anyone has been in contact with them about the Backwood kits, I would be grateful to find out which ones they have. thanks
-
Thanks, Joe. I have just sent him an email; as it is always worth finding out what he has, so I can pass the details on to the OOn3 group. regards Colin
-
Thank you all, so having a mixture of all three types will not be a problem. The long-term project is to build a 4mm scale layout based on Downpatrick. The idea is that it is a cross-board terminal with trains going to and from both Belfast and Dublin. In reality, the station closed in the early 1950s, but in the model world, due to both local and international pressure, it remained open. Hence, the reason to have different Irish locos from all over visiting Downpatrick with special workings.
-
Hi, could someone tell me the difference between a Bredin, a Laminate and a Park Royal coach, please? Regards Colin
-
As far as I know, he has only taken on the 009, 00n3, and the HOn3 ranges. Allen is still looking for someone to take on the Irish Standard (5ft 3ins) gauge ranges across the scales. The 4mm Irish NG has gone to Stan, but other scales may still be available. Allen once told me that he does not always put all his Irish kits on the website, which are for sale.
-
Backwood kits are almost ready to go again. Nev is just trying to find a few replacement parts As for the oon3 Worsley kits, you can now ask Stan at johnwilliams509@btinternet.com as he has taken on the oon3 range from Allen. Colin
-
I just hope that all the 3ft gauge stock gets to move to the Cavan & Leitrim Railway
-
Well, at least it is a start, it was suggested that other prototypes (Irish?) could be produced using the existing chassis.
-
Hopefully, I have my name next to one of each of the green ones
-
I was wondering the same, also, what about some of the engineering books on steam locos, etc? I hope they have ended up in a good home
-
I have a feeling that there are a number of possibilities. The 3mm Society is in discussion for the 3mm scale masters as well as the oon3 masters. I am not sure about any of the 009 etches, but I think it is a case of wait and see right now
.png.c363cdf5c3fb7955cd92a55eb6dbbae0.png)