A DART every 5 minutes?

Rate this question

islandbridgejct

Question

I wonder does anyone have a copy of any of the DART promotional leaflets distributed in the late 70s / early 80s saying that, when complete, there would be a DART every 5 minutes at peak hour and every 15 minutes at other times? I remember the 5 minute claim well, and wish I had kept a copy so I could say, "you promised."

If anyone could provide a scan of one, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

Alan

• Like 2

8 answers to this question

10 minutes ago, islandbridgejct said:

I wonder does anyone have a copy of any of the DART promotional leaflets distributed in the late 70s / early 80s saying that, when complete, there would be a DART every 5 minutes at peak hour and every 15 minutes at other times? I remember the 5 minute claim well, and wish I had kept a copy so I could say, "you promised."

If anyone could provide a scan of one, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

Alan

I remember being promised Eurostars stopping in Stafford. They even printed timetables.

It would have been possible to go to Avignon and back on a Saturday, with three hours there in the early afternoon - if it had actually happened, of course.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Broithe said:

I remember being promised Eurostars stopping in Stafford. They even printed timetables.

It would have been possible to go to Avignon and back on a Saturday, with three hours there in the early afternoon - if it had actually happened, of course.

Bet the guys in Avignon were gutted at missing out on a day in Stafford 

• Funny 2

32 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Whose layout is / was that???

It was built by a chap in the South Dublin Model Railway Club back in the 80's to promote the coming of the Dart, it was recently restored by the Club and exhibited at the last Blackrock Model Railway Show;-

• Like 4
  • Informative 1
  • WOW! 1

2 minutes ago, murrayec said:

It was built by a chap in the South Dublin Model Railway Club back in the 80's to promote the coming of the Dart, it was recently restored by the Club and exhibited at the last Blackrock Model Railway Show;-

Outstanding. I'll have to ask DJD Senior to keep an eye out for that layout!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, islandbridgejct said:

Thank you for that. That's exactly what I was looking for. 👍

I remember seeing the original of that layout back in the day. The stock seems more authentic now. A nice restoration job.

Alan

The original DARTs were scratch built from German HO two car sets - the newer models are ECM creations - thanks to Eoin for these - the layout is alive and well in our clubrooms at the SDMRC.

The facelift was just to refresh the look having been in storage for a few years. 

CIE asked the club to build the layout and it was used to promote the arrival of the DARTS in 1984 and made appearances around the Dublin area at the time.  

Edited by DartStation
typo
  • Like 6