Fintona Station

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

Humbrol or Precision 'Track Colour' are ok, especially for sleepers though weathering guru Martyn Welch uses a blend of Humbrol orange 82, leather 62 and matt black 33, adding grey 64 to show gatherings of oily sludge. That is for main running lines. Sidings tend to be darker, so he adds bauxite 133 and gunmetal 53. Dry brushing gunmetal on to sleepers painted with track colour gives a nice effect of weathered wood.

Have used these methods and they work well. Ideally, you need colour photos of areas similar to what you are modelling to copy. On a large layout, a general spray of track colour can be enough, then use weathering powders to pick out areas of brake dust, or oily patches and so on. On a small layout, it can be fun [?] to really go to town on detailing humble track and when you see what the likes of Martyn and Gordon Gravett achieve, it is well worth aspiring to.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update....

all wiring is now complete and a switch module operates all gaugemaster points. The track is pinned down in selective areas and will remain like this until I’m happy that trains run well. (The only minor problem I see is the Coupling on the rear side of the tender of my UG tends to be a little low and fouls when reversing over the point work, this can be fixed quite easily - sorted)

My next task is to start painting the track prior to ballasting, but I guess ballasting will be a few weeks away yet. 

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 3

Generic term is ash ballast. Some modellers have been known to use sieved ash from a steam railway for authenticity - not recommended as you are bringing all kinds of chemical nastiness onto your layout. Fine dust ballast is safer but a nightmare to lay and glue. Best option is Chris Nevard style with DAS clay. Although I would say that, having done it….

AD4899C0-E280-48E0-8727-A6947586FC78.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

I've use Woodlands Scenics ' fine ash' ballast on Arigna/Belmullet and Fintonagh. It is aimed at N gauge but works fine in 7mm scale and should do ok in 4mm scale too. When we had a multi fuel heater and back boiler for our central heating, there was a ready supply of real ash ballast, which worked well when sieved, though gave off a terrible stupendous smell when fixed with the usual on a glue mix.

Chinchilla dust is very fine and would work well, but it needs painting as it is a pale beige sort of colour.

• Like 1

I might give the WS ballast another go, David! I used Carrs ash on a layout years ago but found it prone to puddling and general mess. Need to try some new methods for new layout anyway….

30 minutes ago, David Holman said:

I've use Woodlands Scenics ' fine ash' ballast on Arigna/Belmullet and Fintonagh. It is aimed at N gauge but works fine in 7mm scale and should do ok in 4mm scale too. When we had a multi fuel heater and back boiler for our central heating, there was a ready supply of real ash ballast, which worked well when sieved, though gave off a terrible stupendous smell when fixed with the usual on a glue mix.

Chinchilla dust is very fine and would work well, but it needs painting as it is a pale beige sort of colour.

• 2 weeks later...

Having spent several weeks underneath the layout, wiring point motors and bringing everything back to my switch module,  I started laying uncoupling ramps and mock up cardboard platforms. The mock up platforms give me an idea of what works best before I build them. I’m awaiting ballast, which is due shortly. Although the layout is called Fintona Station, it may in time become a small Irish shunting layout with no name.

65B2D42D-5834-45B4-8A0F-498572924074.jpeg

580EF95C-0AF8-434B-9317-F049F52FECB2.jpeg

A5A47E11-1DC0-4B35-94EB-B48774803A78.jpeg

• Like 7

5 hours ago, GNRi1959 said:

Having spent several weeks underneath the layout, wiring point motors and bringing everything back to my switch module,  I started laying uncoupling ramps and mock up cardboard platforms. The mock up platforms give me an idea of what works best before I build them. I’m awaiting ballast, which is due shortly. Although the layout is called Fintona Station, it may in time become a small Irish shunting layout with no name.

65B2D42D-5834-45B4-8A0F-498572924074.jpeg

580EF95C-0AF8-434B-9317-F049F52FECB2.jpeg

A5A47E11-1DC0-4B35-94EB-B48774803A78.jpeg

That is looking absolutely perfect, Tony, EITHER as actual Fintona, or a generic shunting layout, for which the real Fintona track plan is actually ideal anyway.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Northroader said:

Shaping up really well, just tell me the electrics all work o.k.?

Yes, the electrics do work very well. The only problem I encountered was devising a sensible plan to bring seven point motors back to a switching system I knew nothing about. In the end it took two attempts to wire it.

• Like 1