Track testing

Rate this question

GNRi1959

Question

5 answers to this question

If you mean electrical testing, Tony, a simple track tester like this is ideal….https://www.rkeducation.co.uk/rktt1-oo-gauge-track-testing-module-for-model-railway---constructed-2610-p.asp

if it’s running testing you want, then arguably the U and UG are your best critics! One of the modern diesels like a 121 or an A class might be a good option for the days you want to just run trains.

The majority of modern (post 2000) ready to run diesel or steam locos (Irish of British outline) should run reliably out of the box for testing your new layout, beware of second hand pre-2000 Bachmann, Mainline, GMR, Airfix or Lima locos as the mechanical design and material was often of poor quality and does not compare to current standards.

Hand built locos like the OO Works U and UG are likely to require some running in (on an oval) of track to allow the motor, gear train and bearings to 'bed in" and achieve reliable running, the mass produced rtr Chinese models with plastic gearing and built in slop tend to be more forgiving and run reasonably well out of the box.

An 0-6-0 like the UG should be reliable, 4-4-0s like the OO Works U are more challenging to balance and achieve reliable operation.

I assemble 2-4-0s and 4-4-0s with power pick up on the loco and the drawbar arranged to transfer weight from the tender to the loco, this improves reliability and haulage.

New irish Lines Article ballasting MGWR 2-4-0.pdf

Guess it depends on the sort of testing you want to do, Tony.  For me, on my new project, I want to make sure all my stock will run through the points - both locos and rolling stock. The latter can be done by hand, but persuading locos is often a case of trial and error. For example an 0-6-0 will behave differently to a 4-4-0, or anything with bogie or pony wheels.

I start off with wagons, singly, then in groups, then likewise coaches, as my hand made track needs careful checking to see if I've built it accurately enough, or if adjustments are needed. Locos need the wiring to be done and I always start with my J26 0-6-0T, which is both a nice simple design and a known good runner. However, as Galteemore says, track and wheels need cleaning first, to limited the variables.

If all is well, then I carefully to through all the other locos, noting any problems and then attend to them one by one. Given I know my stock is pretty well run in and reliable, it is more likely to be track, but you just never know! 

Finally, hopefully, I run the likely full trains I want to exhibit, including any shunting moves, because in an ideal world, I want to know everything works as I want, before any ballasting, painting and scenic work takes place, as this can always cause problems later too.

• Like 1