Irish brake van wanted

Rate this topic

pauldelany

6 hours ago, DoctorPan said:

JM have some RTR ones available here:
https://jmdesignmodelrailways.com/products/cie-20t-goods-brake-23543

And @leslie10646 of Provincial Wagons does a GSWR and GNR one

For CIE, this is a good one to have - I've two of them. Leslie's "Provincial Wagons" has two -  a Great Northern one and a GSWR one. Antique as the latter look, several of them worked into the 1960s, and two of only slightly younger vintage made it into the mid 1970s, so perfect for CIE. Leslie's GNR one will suffice obviously for a GNR layout, but a small number of these vans were also used 1958-early 60s by CIE; one at least ended up in CIE livery (grey) with flying snail logo, and was seen as far away as Cork. Other GNR ones ended up with the UTA and later at least two ended up with NIR on ballast trains. In that guise, they saw service on the NCC.

Studio Scale models do a brass "modern" CIE brake van for the 1960-1976 period - most of these ended up brown after 1970. No GNR ones were ever brown, either with the GNR, CIE, UTA or NIR. A small handful of the JM Design ones ended up brown but most were gone or repanelled in steel by then.

So between JM Design, Studio Scale Models and Provincial Wagons, all areas of Irish main lines are covered at least to some extent, bar the BCDR.

• Thanks 1

I hate to correct the Venerable JHB, but My Man, Michael Rayner, through his Smallbrook Range does a brake van which is close to one of the BCDR brake vans (I think it was one of his LSWR "Road Vans").

Kirley, formerly of this Parish, got one for his Junction and I believe Patrick Davey may have done one also when in his BCDR Phase.

When I first met Michael, I was in my Dapol Phase and I challenged him to produce a GNR Brake Van kit (originally only sold RTR!). While it replicated the superb SSM kit, it was a lot easier to build and it must have been OK as I've sold 161 of them.

The GSWR one was chosen for the reasons JHB mentions above - they lasted forever! If you take time with the kit, it makes a wonderfully antique piece of rolling stock which you can certainly run behind even an A Class - which someone has made a nice model of .......

PS Even I have ordered one of Mayner's brake vans - a bit of variety is nice!

• Like 2