Bachmann K class Gear Issue

Rate this topic

gph2000

I'm about to convert my mogul (K Class) to DCC. The first thing I did was removed all the base screws. Bad Idea. The centre one should stay in place. The outcome of this is that before I do any conversion, I've got the valve gear binding!

I need tips on how I can get them running freely again.

I got lucky George, I did exactly that and all was good. 

Some pieces of advice for anyone else who needs to remove a K class body shell,

1. DO NOT UNDO THE CENTRE SCREW UNLESS YOU HAVE TO.
  2. If your  base plate becomes disturbed and needs re fitting, fit it from the motor end forward, otherwise the motor end will not fit back properly
  3. While you have the body shell off secure the base plate at the motor end with a nut and  bolt as seen here to prevent it becoming disturbed during the work - I am converting to DCC so there will be some handling

20220224_142457.jpg

• Informative 1

Almost done. A couple of lessons learned, it would be easier to abandon the PCB as George advised, but if like me you insist on keeping it, then un solder it from the motor as part of the disassembly. I didn't  - it made the work much more awkward, and detached itself anyway!

Early testing was a success, the only glitch is that forward and reverse are excusing the word, reversed! I need to fix that and test again.

• Informative 1

Change of Locomotive's Direction.   CV29 is the correct CV to call-up for altering the Direction of Travel. Be careful. There are a significant number of of options offered.  You will need to select the correct one for your Locomotive.

Georgeconna  is correct  - HOWEVER -

CV29 = 001 is used  for a Speed Table of (14) Analogue Mode (OFF) Reverse Direction of Travel (RDOT) 

CV29  = 002 is used for Speed Table of (28/128) Analogue Mode (OFF)Reverse Direction of Travel  (RDOT)

Two Digit Address - This is 0 to 127. Four Digit Addresses start at 128 and upwards.

Example.

Decimal Value (CV29) -  HEX (x06) Speed Step (28/128) Analogue Mode (ON) Normal Direction of Travel (Forward) 2or 4 Digit Address (2)

To reverse this Direction of Travel  Change the Decimal Value of CV29 address to 07 or alternatively HEX (x07).

The Woolwich Locomotives (Class K1) were allocated the numbers 372 to 391.

The final six Locomotives (Class K1A) were numbered 392 to 396. (6ft Driving Wheels.)

If you were numbering your locomotive using this series then- Use a Four Digit address.

Four Digit Address CV29 = 34 for the above settings Reverse Direction CV29=35 

I hope this information resolves your situation.

Edited by Old Blarney
  • Like 1