My new layout Hollywood Junction

Rate this topic

Dave

After building my first layout in a smaller room, I just don't like it. Its too small and it has to go. I am building a new layout in a bigger room 3150mm x 3150mm or 10' 4" x 10' 4".

I'm looking for ideas, I would like to put in a large station area and plenty of shunting in a container yard. I am planning to have a double loop around the room and would like to keep it simple with lots of scenery.

The door will open out to maximise space.

I have attached a rough drawing of the baseboards, I am open to all ideas.

Thanks in advance :tumbsup:

CCF26112012_00001.jpg

Great to see so many new layouts been posted. Good luck Dave, I’ll not offer any suggestions as I’m sure there is a rough plan already formed in your mind.

I have a very rough idea, but I welcome your comments. Track design starts tonight.

Hey Dave,

I was looking at your plan and a few thoughts came to mind. Since you have a skinny area on the right hand side, it would make an excellent place for an over the top suspension bridge, 6 foot long, the works, pillars, cables - rather than a layout bit. Show off your woodworking skills too.

Then I was looking at the Hornby magazine and there was a layout called Stoney Lane Depot in N gauge. Here it is.

Stoney_lane_depot.jpg

See the curve as the plastic thing navigates the top of the viaduct, well I thought that something at higher level could do something similar in your scheme like this

CCF26112012_00002.jpg

The lower yard could easily work away in the peninsula (?) and a link under the purple curve bridge could snake behind in a scenic section along the left hand side, unseen, and rejoin the main line in front of the window, a manulla junction type section. The upper left hand corner a station? I think that with enough rising and falling landscape and track, you could have a pretty prototypical irish looking layout, without all the buildings like stoney lane. sorry for getting carried away, jealousy is a wicked drug.

Crap_effort.jpg

Richie.

Hey Dave,

I was looking at your plan and a few thoughts came to mind. Since you have a skinny area on the right hand side, it would make an excellent place for an over the top suspension bridge, 6 foot long, the works, pillars, cables - rather than a layout bit. Show off your woodworking skills too.

Then I was looking at the Hornby magazine and there was a layout called Stoney Lane Depot in N gauge. Here it is.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4173[/ATTACH]

See the curve as the plastic thing navigates the top of the viaduct, well I thought that something at higher level could do something similar in your scheme like this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4174[/ATTACH]

The lower yard could easily work away in the peninsula (?) and a link under the purple curve bridge could snake behind in a scenic section along the left hand side, unseen, and rejoin the main line in front of the window, a manulla junction type section. The upper left hand corner a station? I think that with enough rising and falling landscape and track, you could have a pretty prototypical irish looking layout, without all the buildings like stoney lane. sorry for getting carried away, jealousy is a wicked drug.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4175[/ATTACH]

Richie.

Great ideas Richie! I love the idea for a long suspension bridge. I have chosen this room over the attic because my attic needs so much work to get it insulated and floored, but it is over 1000 square feet! The cost is the big factor and it would take me ages before I could fit the baseboards. So its a spare bedroom nice and warm!

Thanks Richie:tumbsup: