Signals or how to get burnt fingers and eye strain!

Rate this topic

Mike 84C

Three signals for Bantry. All done from a drawing in New Irish Lines and various photographs of the prototype Bantry station so there is a bit of guestimation in some of the heights and details. They are powered by servos under the baseboard controlled by a GF controls dual servo control unit.  I  took all the advice and pointers I could get from Steve Hewitt on RMW , he builds excellent working signals and freely gives help and advice.

The finials are Scottish one's 

The arms are L&Y as are the weights 

Cast lamps are Midland/GCR 

The ladders and all the above are from MSE/Wizard Models

Posts, wires for handrails are things I had in stock plus those handy little bits of saved etches.

Signals 2.jpg

Signals.jpg

• Like 11
  • WOW! 6

Angus, I worked from a drawing in New Irish Lines for Nov 19 which is 7mm to the ft, I believe its a David Chown drawing. But the article says it could be 8mm/ft!  So I used my judgement to get a visual balance.

The distinctive "cricket bat " shape I marked up out on N/S sheet, drilled holes then opened them up to form the slots, did the profile of the "bat" with files and soldered 1'5/2mm N/S etch offcuts around the edge of the "bat"  I did'nt put the little cross pieces on the "bat" ,that was one step beyond for me!  Hope that  helps.

And thank you for your comments.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1