Sound chips for Murphy models

Rate this topic

trainboy

Hi all, I have a question on the existing sound chips for Murphy models. I have ordered a MM 567 sound chip for my 121 class loco. I was wondering if this chip could also be used for the MM 141 class, or even the 071 class for that matter. Is there much of a difference in engine sound between the various GM locos? Sound chips are so expensive so it would be great if one chip could work for several classes.

thanks, Brendan

• 3 weeks later...

The standard 21 pin chips can be used 121, 141/181/071 classes.

The sound fitted chips for the 121s can be used in 141/181 class but as far as I know, the 141s are not fitted with speakers so a speaker will also have to be wired to the sound decoder for use in 141/181. 

• Informative 1

11 hours ago, BEANO3005 said:

but as far as I know, the 141s are not fitted with speakers so a speaker will also have to be wired to the sound decoder for use in 141/181. 

Correct, the thinner centre section means you cant fit a reasonably big speaker either

20 hours ago, BEANO3005 said:

The standard 21 pin chips can be used 121, 141/181/071 classes.

The sound fitted chips for the 121s can be used in 141/181 class but as far as I know, the 141s are not fitted with speakers so a speaker will also have to be wired to the sound decoder for use in 141/181. 

Actually the speaker can be wired to either the decoder or the circuit board in the loco. Wiring to the board is far more preferable, as wiring to the decoder itself takes some very delicate soldering.