Signalling at Scarva

Rate this question

Lambeg man

Question

I am in the mind to model an adaptation of the layout at Scarva. However a study of all available pre-1962 (when the cabin was abolished) photographs gives little indication of where the signals were. One Camwell photo from 1949 (when the footbridge in the middle of the station was still in place) shows the double UP starter on the DOWN side just before the road bridge so favoured by most photographers.

Surely there must have been starters at the end of the northern end of the UP and Branch platform? Any advice gratefully received. .

• Like 3

8 answers to this question

Hi @Lambeg man, I am sure that you are much more knowledgeable than myself on these matters (I saw your input to the discussion on the 1944 mystery photo), and I'm sure you are already aware of what follows, but, as you ask for any advice I will contribute the following.

The photo on page 39 of R M Arnold's The Golden Years of The Great Northern Railway Part Two of SG2 16 hurrying past Scarva with a ballast train suggests that behind all the smoke from 16 there is the base of a signal post. This is confirmed in the film Off The Beaten Track - Scarva to Banbridge and Newcastle, (utube, at 4min 44secs approx), shows a Down Starter at the Norhern end of the Up Platform. Although the photo is very clear, there is no evidence of any other signals, apart from the vague suggestion of a Down Advanced Starter, on the Down Side a bit beyond the cabin.

There is no indication of any signalling on the branch. The article in the IRRS Journal, No 109 June 1989, 'The Banbridge Lines' , states 'The line was worked under the regulations for One Engine in Steam', but how would a goods say from Banbridge to Newry or Banbridge to Poradown via Scarva be signalled from the branch unto the Up Main Line?

Just a few observations, which as I said I am sure you are aware of. An Ordinance Survey Map of the 30's/40's would be good, as they usually indicate Signal Posts.

As an aside, @Patrick Davey of this parish, has a thread on the Workbench Forum, 'Two GNR(I) Buildings', where he describes the building of both a GNR(I) Signal Box and a GNR(I) Waiting Shed. Although the Signal Box at Scarva was far from typical GNR(I), in fact it was fairly unique and would make a great modelling project, the Waiting Shed is a definite candidate for Scarva.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

Thanks for the mention LC!

Does Arnold not include a diagram of Scarva in that book?  As far as I recall, those diagrams included the locations of the signals?  I'll check my copy shortly as I could be wrong!

No to the above - no diagram of Scarva in Arnold!

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

No to the above - no diagram of Scarva in Arnold!

@Patrick Davey,there are excellent diagrams of Tanderagee, Scarva, Poyntzpass and Bessbrook at the very back, but no indication of signals. (I take it that's what you meant), or is all that reconstruction work at Brookhall Mill catching up with you!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, LARNE CABIN said:

@Patrick Davey,there are excellent diagrams of Tanderagee, Scarva, Poyntzpass and Bessbrook at the very back, but no indication of signals. (I take it that's what you meant), or is all that reconstruction work at Brookhall Mill catching up with you!

Ha fair enough - I didn’t look at the back 😊

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 8:04 PM, Patrick Davey said:

This gives the location of the signals:

On 1/8/2022 at 8:18 AM, LARNE CABIN said:

The photo on page 39 of R M Arnold's The Golden Years of The Great Northern Railway Part Two of SG2 16 hurrying past Scarva with a ballast train suggests that behind all the smoke from 16 there is the base of a signal post. This is confirmed in the film Off The Beaten Track - Scarva to Banbridge and Newcastle, (utube, at 4min 44secs approx), shows a Down Starter at the Norhern end of the Up Platform. Although the photo is very clear, there is no evidence of any other signals, apart from the vague suggestion of a Down Advanced Starter, on the Down Side a bit beyond the cabin.

Many thanks to you both, your input has been very helpful. LM

• Like 2