Scarva

Rate this topic

Lambeg man

My first ever internet postings were on the RM Web site and they were about my “Lisburn North” layout. Although I received positive appraisal from viewers, the first version suffered from the fact it had to be operated and viewed from the front like an exhibition type layout. Access to the ‘hidden sidings’ required constant ducking under the front boards and this proved problematic.

A house move in February 2021 allowed a rebuild in a slightly bigger garage with operation and viewing from the centre, with a lifting section being incorporated to allow easy access to the centre. However by sticking with the “Lisburn North” concept, this resulted in only 35% of the whole oval being available for the scenic section.

I have therefore recently dismantled the last “Lisburn North” layout completely and made a fresh start (with rebuilt baseboards) on a new project. I gave up years ago on ‘terminus to fiddle sidings’ type layouts, as I prefer a ‘watching the trains go by’ type layout. Therefore it has to be something on the ex-GNR main line.

In my copy of Golden Years of the Great Northern: Part Two purchased 42 or so years ago, I had pencilled in over the track plan of Scarva station how it could be done in 16’ 00”. As I now I have 18’ 00” to play with I have revisited this idea. However under Rule One, this ‘Scarva’ is different to the original as in real time the Banbridge branch was closed in 1955 by the GNR(B). However in my scenario, although passenger services have been withdrawn, the branch is retained for goods traffic to TWO linen mills, as was the case (albeit only one) with the extended stub of the Derry Central line. Scarva station may also get a full sized Goods Shed if only because I have one!

This will allow for a ‘branch terminus’ alongside the Hidden Sidings with a station layout not dissimilar to Milford on the Armagh-Keady branch line, a long platform for the very occasional passenger special, with a loop to allow the shunting of mill wagons to an unseen destination.

The building of this new layout is underway with track laying in progress. While I had the track plan from the Arnold book as a guide, I recently posted an appeal for information about the original signalling at Scarva. I am very grateful to BSGSV of this parish for helping out with that one.

As it may be of interest to others as to the apparent paucity of signals in published photo’s, I attach an amended copy of the track plan from the Arnold book (with acknowledgement to Blackstaff Press) showing the signals, many of which were well away from the usual photographer’s position on the road bridge. The Advanced Starters were much further out than I have indicated.

138628950_PlanofScravashowingsignals.thumb.png.de71883bd8e9562abb619556bebd5c94.png

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Like 9
  • Informative 1

Some photo's to show progress to date -

The overall layout size is 18' x 10', with the station area against the side wall of the garage and the Hidden Sidings in the center.

image.thumb.png.fcf1445f07b6ff5947868011b0d8ec76.png

(Above)The Hidden Sidings are down. 9 roads in total, 3 through UP loops, 3 through DOWN loops and the center 3 roads are reversible.  

image.thumb.png.6099d007fc5f4dd22c185e629de826f9.png

(Above) Hidden Sidings viewed from the opposite end to the previous photo.

image.png.ab902aab9ad20601b5a2193424383bc4.png

(Above) The corner lifting section (in the up position) chosen for here as it is the only section with only two tracks on it. Sliding rail joiners provide electrical connection AND ensure correct track alignment when the section is lowered in place. Simples!

image.png.016a187dbd0dc37b39682f065d5a3511.png

(Above) Overall view, looking south, of what will be the main station area.

image.png.1eeb11ccd71bac083a21bcff8a9c9450.png

(Above) Overall view, looking north, of what will be the main station area.

image.png.5b25dc4d4acf9c8ca07169195b409813.png

(Above) Closer look of the Goods Shed that MY version of Scarva will have. Bought it for £2 about 35 years ago second hand from a shop. Lots of bits have fallen off, doors, guttering, etc., but I have saved them and hope to restore it to it's former glory. It has lighting installed and it looks "Irish" to my eyes. 

image.png.575716b5c1eafca96a8bdb6110b40ad1.png

(Above) View of the station throat area looking north. The right hand point in the foreground is for the Branch connection. The trailing crossover between the UP and DOWN lines is seen in the distance.

image.png.9a586453f8414a0c7a23847f3e288daf.png

(Above) Once the main running lines are pinned down in the far corner, the immediate central area of this photo will be fitted with a trimmed 3' x 2' sheet of ply fitted underneath the existing support batons. The Branch Line will then leave the board are on the left of the picture and run over an embankment to reach the board edge seen on the right of the picture. The embankment will cross over a derelict section of canal by a small bridge. I feel that even a small amount of 'embankment' will bring some relief from everything else tending to be in cuttings.

image.png.59f80c6102181a405cfe032b52a33d10.png

(Above) View of the yet to be sorted other end of the Hidden Sidings. The solitary 21" Setrack curve seen in the center of the picture shows roughly where the Branch Line will come around after crossing the embankment, then hitting level ground before going under a road bridge.

Before anyone starts about my deviations from the original, remember - RULE ONE!

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • WOW! 2

Update on further progress.

image.png.3be7b6d7f5c3c878d69560b1eb12f0f4.png

Point work at the southern end of the station. A study of available photo's show that the curve at the south end was quite sharp.

image.png.72dfe2adbf78179bc275c7f904705cf4.png

Other published photo's show the the curve through the station was quite gentle. View from the over-bridge.

image.thumb.png.be6864166165c3f7d8c7e4b15010e564.png

Overall view of the station area looking north.

image.png.c556169fbc67ed1e0d3d6e10a6ec0b23.png

Overall view of the station area looking south. Only the main running lines are currently 'pinned'.

'image.png.ee1e801ca60cdc9b0f09982d95484d19.png

The' 'gauging' coaches. Two scale '70' Triang/Hornby carriages that are run around sharper curves to check for potential clashes. So far so good!

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Like 6

Photographic update on progress.

image.png.2e767c6b8f4422c16aa0d5b726974b3e.png

Overall view of the layout looking towards the main garage doors. The right hand door has been locked and thermal insulation fitted to cover the door area. The left hand door has been left as it is to allow access. View taken from the side entrance door. This layout is narrower that the last "Lisburn North" was, yet with far more scenic 'run'.

image.png.151e4ba7fdec67fa90c70dcb2e887c38.png

Overall view in other direction.

image.png.1d7f3459df78a2f06057afad5f91a90d.png

Opposite end of the Hidden Sidings showing near completed trackwork. The two points on the right are there as a series of 'Kick Back' sidings from the outer DOWN loop for loco storage are being considered.

image.png.38ea3062630633fa33ab7d16e8edb87d.png

View south from the road bridge with the 'Long Siding' in place.

image.png.93b3d00f6493caa685b26bc24e382f20.png

The 'Long Siding' (which here could hold 6 bogie carriages at a push) has been laid on cork sheet as I envisage it will covered in a lot of grass/weeds due to being out of use. I want to include this feature as my memory of early 1960's rail travel was that even between Belfast and Lisburn, the view from a carriage window was frequently punctuated by scenes of overgrown abandoned sidings, e.g. Balmoral, Finaghy & Hilden. The track used here is real steel which has rusted in a most realistic manner.

image.png.4adf58d3d916c3d73c2c1bd466544541.png

The lifting section shown in place. The inner curve is provided by 2 Peco Setrack 21" radius curves, the outer one then being laid with the gauging coaches checking clearance. Cork sheet underlay was used to reduce the impact of the board when lifted against the thermal insulation sheeting. Clearances are tight but to expand the size of this lifting section board would impact on the length of the Hidden Sidings.

Once the remaining Hidden Sidings are connected at the other end, the Main Line oval will be complete and ready to be wired. This would then allow limited train running, while the station yard is laid and the branch line set up.

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, leslie10646 said:

When you've got it laid, I'll bring up half a dozen locos and a few dozen coaches and we can re-enact "Sham Fight Day!

Les, that would depend on you allowing King James to win - just for once! (Reference to a GNR driver pulling into Scarva on a 13th special and asking a waiting member of the brethren "Who won?")

Regarding paucity of photographs, does anyone know how the reverse turnout on the entrance to the 'Long Siding' ended? Buffer stop? Sand drag? Answers on a postcard please.

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Like 1

Tonight's efforts...

image.png.52d9baa769ad676003b042da1958cc57.png

The other end of the Hidden Sidings finished with three 'Kick Back' sidings off the outer DOWN loop. The 'Kick Back' sidings are an attempt to use an otherwise vacant corner section.

image.png.8cdd106f561bfcf06499dc4d9821fa59.png

The two short sidings to the right are each intended to hold a locomotive, while the third longer siding will take wagons removed from a goods train.

Operational experience from the "Lisburn North" project proved the that the most satisfactory operation of trains to represent the UTA (ex-GNR) main line goods was -

1: A DE hauled CIE fitted goods (with cement bubbles and fitted vans).

2. A Steam hauled un-fitted UTA goods (with a rich mix of vans and BR containers), plus 'red' liveried open wagons.

Both trains being lengthy they will occupy the outer loops in the Hidden Sidings.  

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Like 2

On 13/9/2022 at 8:00 PM, Lambeg man said:

Regarding paucity of photographs, does anyone know how the reverse turnout on the entrance to the 'Long Siding' ended? Buffer stop? Sand drag? Answers on a postcard please.

I have worked out that in reality it was a 'Catch Point'. However I have not the time to hack a 'Catch Point' from a Peco point, so I've placed a Peco point and a very short length of track ending in a Peco wooden packed buffer stop.

History has taught me that when you view your work and something at the back of your mind says "That's not quite right", there is little point in persevering with it. If it was "Not quite right" in the beginning, by the time wiring and scenery have been fitted, it will look total rank. Instead of wiring up the 'Main' lines for some running, I thought I would at least lay some points and track down in the bay platform and station goods yard. As previously stated MY 'Scarva' will have a Goods Shed. However I wanted to retain the Loading Bank feature that rested between the bay platform head shunt and the spur off the run around loop. I found the exercise would prove the Goods Yard to appear cramped (especially once MY goods shed is added to the original track plan). So tonight's effort was to unpin the main line and ease the curve further outwards.

image.thumb.png.0f3898d3cf3fcf3976ebb477a0a39057.png

The realigned DOWN main line viewed from the over-bridge and the UP main in the original alignment.

image.thumb.png.72ae0520261ffe195bd279b8fe6fb4e9.png

View from the opposite direction showing the amount of deviation in the new alignment. The 'KINK' issue with the DOWN main is caused by the use of the 'long' radius Left Hand point for the UP main to BRANCH turnout. However, I am in a mind to replace this with a 'medium' radius Right Hand point tomorrow and suffer a brief section of straight track in the UP and DOWN main lines.

image.thumb.png.dd9eac9b29894bc1ac3f9ae15bd92d06.png

Easing the main lines towards the back of the baseboards will reduce the the required sharp curvature after the north crossover.

image.thumb.png.61e28fa1568060a1325a3ff790763fa4.png

An idea of how the goods yard layout was being squeezed at the far end. Once the bay platform line is moved over to align closer with the UP main, it will hopefully free up a bit of space.  

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Like 6