New RPSI Book - “Steam’s Last Challenge”

Rate this topic

Darius43

Just received this book, written by Joe Cassells, from the RPSI that tells the story of the spoil trains that ran from Magheramorne to Greencastle carrying the material for the reclaimed land that is now underneath the M2 motorway.

580661D4-7072-40FE-BF8D-A6E05F411D8B.thumb.jpeg.e71e7dce80274a9da0d24a25f812780a.jpeg

Absolutely fantastic book with plenty of great photos!!!  Definitely recommended.

As we didn’t move to Belfast until 1978 these trains were before my time there but I do recall watching, from our house in Ben Madigan, the causeway for the M5 motorway link extending northwards.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 3
  • Informative 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got a copy of this from Leslie at the show on Sunday, what a great read, brilliant photos as well, Grew up watching these trains at Greencastle, it was a dare with my mates to stand under the small bridge at hazelbank not far from the mill road, first time I did it when the spoil train went over it was nearly new underpants time , the noise was tremendous, anyway a fantastic book well worth it.