Irish Rail / Iarnroid Eireann Model railways

Rate this topic

oneonenine

Hello,

I am developing an interest in model railways.

Having searched around, I can see there is a company that sells Irish Rail / Iarnroid Eireann models with the classic Orange and Black motif.

The site charges 200 euros or so but they are always sold out. 

I've seen Hornby review videos that I assume are these models.

Are these the only ones available on the market?. Historically, have there been mass market releases from any big companies that might still be knocking around dealer tables at shows?.

Thanks

• Like 2

First, congratulations on your developing interest. You will find all the information and support you could possibly want here, from information on models, to advice on building, to availability and quality of models, to historical details, you name it - just ask.

The first things to look at are what budget you have and what available space. You can fit a small shunting layout, even in 00 scale, into a surprisingly small space and all you need is a locomotive and a dozen or less trucks.

Quality varies. If you want accuracy, you need to pay a bit more. If you're not fussed about how accurate your layout is to be, anything goes and you'll get bargains at model railway shows or on fleabay. beware of customs and brexit charges from buying in Britain, though - as Broithe says, contact Wrenneire on this forum to discuss needs. If you're in Dublin or Cork or nearabouts, contact Mark's Models or call in (see them online too).

Good luck!

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 4

Welcome along 👍👍 Always great to have new blood showing an interest in model railways-  even better if it is the 'Orange & Black' era too!!

Good advice above-  your available space, budget, era you want to model, passenger/freight, and level of accuracy all can dictate what you can get.

@WRENNEIRE is definitely a good place to start!

Best of luck in the project too 👏👏

• Like 3