Bredin Suburban Brake did it make it into preservation?

Rate this question

Mayner

Question

I came across a former GSR Bredin Suburban Brake 3rd during a visit to Inchacore during the mid-1990s, does anyone know whether the coach made it into preservation?

The coach may have been used on the Inchacore Trail Train following its withdrawl from service, there is a photo of the Bredin coach and a MK2D coupled to an NIR 111 at Ballybrophy in 1986 in the current edition of New Irish Lines.scan0007.thumb.jpg.06a26ee8b7380342cef99f0767f5931b.jpg

5 answers to this question

Regrettably that is the situation in railway preservation today.No matter how worthwhile something is, you can’t always save it for posterity. I have to hope that the sole surviving 2600 series railcar at Downpatrick will eventually be restored for future generations to see a significant piece of railway history.

Stephen

1 hour ago, Horsetan said:

I think that just leaves two surviving Bredins, one at the RPSI, and the other as a grounded body (no bogies) at Moyasta

One more, 1144 (the only GSR-built 1st) survives sans running gear at Dromod.

Although there's a debate that none of these should really be called Bredins but it's too early in the morning for that... 😁

Re: AM13, I believe she survived as an RPSI spares coach into the early 2000s, at Heuston I think.

Edited by Niles
  • Agree 1