IRM A12

Rate this topic

Dave Dawes

Ah sure that's grand! Thought you had gone back deep into the bowels of the thread about the IRM A Class to seek out the information you were looking for. Anyway, it sort of reminds me of the time when I used to manage staff, would ask them a question and end up answering it myself. Who's great? Gerry is!

• Funny 4

13 minutes ago, connollystn said:

Ah sure that's grand! Thought you had gone back deep into the bowels of the thread about the IRM A Class to seek out the information you were looking for. Anyway, it sort of reminds me of the time when I used to manage staff, would ask them a question and end up answering it myself. Who's great? Gerry is!

My rule 'at work' was "Never ask a question that you don't already know the answer to".

• 1 month later...

Most yellow patches were applied 1964-5, and lasted until about 1969. Like the "day-glo" patches on 141s and 121s in the early IE days, some locos had them and some didn't.

As a general rule, when locos started being repainted out of the green livery in 1962, initially they were painted black'n'tan. After a couple of years, all-black (with white flashes on the ends above window level). Some, but not all, got the yellow patches. After rebuilds, between 1969 and 1972 any new repaints were black'n'tan, usually (on A & C classes, but also B101) with the "low" tan band, in which guise they belnded in better with 121/141/181s. #

After 1972, the orange and black "Supertrain" livery, and the white "tippex" stripes added after 1987.

When liveries change, an entire fleet of anything will never be repainted overnight. There were still some steam locos in old company liveries to be seen in the very early 1930s, seven years after the all-grey livery had spread to all. There were still a few green diesel locos and coaches into the late 1960s; 1967 certainly, maybe 1968. And it's only recently that the last of the 29 class railcars has lost that gawd-awful lime green, white and navy blue livery, despite the first of the fleet getting the all-green something like ten years ago.

• Informative 1