Magnetic couplings

Rate this topic

Liam_Murph

• 1 year later...

Unfortunately/Fortunatley I cannot use magnetic couplings, because to operate I need to be able to uncouple wagons and rakes of coaches and shunt stock on the model layout. I moved our rolling stock over to Kadee's some years ago and have nearly completed the transition away from TLCs. Kadee's enable automatic uncoupling and delayed uncoupling that is impossible with magnetic couplings without the 'hand of god' from the great layout sky manhandling stock on the tracks. At least magnetic couplings are orders of magnitude easier to live with, than tension lock couplings and no slop along ranks of coaches and wagons.

Edited by Noel

On a whim I bought some of the Hornby magnetic couplings last week and I’ve been experimenting with them.

I already fitted them to a rake of the cheap MK1 coaches that came with the My Model Railway Village magazine a few years ago. They’re a little too short for those coaches and need to be glued in part way on the NEM pockets. But one fitted they work fine.

I then tried them on the IRM ferts and they seem fine. The coupling bar that IRM provide with the wagons works fine, but I wanted to be able to break the rake down easily for storage. The 17mm Hornby couplers are the perfect size.

IMG_2540.jpeg

IMG_2539.jpeg

Edited by irishthump
  • Like 5