The Railway in Cavan

Rate this topic

• 2 weeks later...

A lovely video. There’s an interesting reference to the role of the Stormont government in the closure programme of the 1950’s. It wasn’t interested in anything outside of the six counties, very inward looking. I’m not sure if that view has changed in some parts of unionism. Apologies if I have strayed into a no-go area but it was part of the video.

Stephen

1 hour ago, StevieB said:

A lovely video. There’s an interesting reference to the role of the Stormont government in the closure programme of the 1950’s. It wasn’t interested in anything outside of the six counties, very inward looking. I’m not sure if that view has changed in some parts of unionism. Apologies if I have strayed into a no-go area but it was part of the video.

Stephen

One of the more interesting provisions of the Great Northern takeover agreement was that the Republic could subsidise loss making rail services in Northern Ireland if Stormont declined and vice versa. Merrion Street was equally inward looking declining to subsidise the "Border Lines' in Northern Ireland when it had the opportunity, which would have been a major good will gesture towards Northern Ireland and support for the Border Region (on both sides of the border) at relatively little cost. Ironically the Northern Ireland minister of transport who presided over the 1950s closures was from the economically liberal wing of unionism which favoured improved community relations within Northern Ireland and improved relations with the Republic.

The Northern Ireland Government was opposed to subsidising the railways as they believed correctly that the could not be made to operate at a profit, while UTA road services could be made to "pay its way" The UTA was not slow about opening up cross border bus and intercity coach routes or carrying cross border road freight traffic.

• Like 1