Swilly Buses

Rate this question

David Holman

Question

Came across this Corgi Classic model in a local collectibles shop recently & being priced at just ten quid, I couldn't resist!

Underneath, it says it is an AEC Regal and though it is probably 1:48 [or even !:50], am thinking it might be appropriate for my Swilly/Donegal makeover of Fintonagh. Steve Flanders Irish Railway Pictorial of the Swilly notes that AECs were among a 'motley collection of buses' run by the company in the '30s & '40s, so am hoping I can make this model presentable.

Swilly buses all seem to have had roof racks/boxes fitted, so a bit of filling may be needed on the Corgi model, which has a sliding 'sunshine' roof. New numberplates & destination blinds will be needed, while I find it is always nice to angle the front wheels slightly and file flats on the bottom of the tyres so the model sits better.

However, what about livery and lettering? Are there any suitable Swilly decals available? Something that might require more work is that Swilly buses seem to have their passenger doors behind the rear axle, while the Corgi model has its at the front.

DSCN5463.thumb.jpeg.c4bb76d39427b5a190fd0e86c459e894.jpeg

DSCN5464.thumb.jpeg.2f63d4262a490a25a1763a2b43864be2.jpeg

DSCN5465.thumb.jpeg.513488c6f893a7b2adb165c12be5c826.jpeg

Any thoughts and ideas welcome, please!

5 answers to this question

CIERailbus29082023.thumb.jpg.983762c981ed13096e77c917e7f6ee60.jpg

CIE converted an ex-GNR DUTC AEC Regal bus into a railbus during Howden's brief period as CIE General Manager before becoming UTA Chairman.

CIE seems to have lost interest after Howdens departure, like the UTA no need for railbuses or branch line railways when it could operate its own bus and road freight services. Oddly Thurles-Clonmel was one of the few bus routes licensed to a private operator after the railway closed, CIE found the Thurles-Clonmel route unprofitable and licensed the service to a private operator.

Don't know if anything is available with a similar roof profile destination board arrangement.

• Like 2
  • Informative 2