Question regarding C227

Rate this topic

Hi, this is my first post here so I’m not sure if it’s in the right place to ask questions. I was just wondering if anybody knows if the locomotive C227 that’s stored in the west Clare railway is covered over or if you are able to see it, or if you have a photo of it in storage in west Clare? Thanks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Your able to see it. Just get the right permission first 

https://irishrailwaymodeller.com/topic/9317-c202/

Thanks a lot, I watched a YouTube video and thought for some reason that the green a class train was C227! I hope we will be able to see it and it won’t be wrapped in covers, it seems as though it’s in a fairly bad state on the outside with the inside completely stripped, it avoided scrapping before but I wonder what the future holds for the loco.

3 hours ago, Railwayrover said:

Thanks a lot, I watched a YouTube video and thought for some reason that the green a class train was C227! I hope we will be able to see it and it won’t be wrapped in covers, it seems as though it’s in a fairly bad state on the outside with the inside completely stripped, it avoided scrapping before but I wonder what the future holds for the loco.

Bogies being swaped for ITG spares and it’s due to be part of a meuseum 

Edited by Westcorkrailway

9 minutes ago, Mike Beckett said:

The wheel profiles are pretty good. The only thing worth conserving inside is some particularly amusing graffiti.

Haha yes they completely stripped the inside as far as I know and apparently the floor is meant to be just plywood or something. I think it’s also sitting on a 141/181 chassis. 

4 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Bogies being swaped for ITG spares and it’s due to be part of a meuseum 

Sorry for the confusion but are you referring to the A class or the C class here? I apologise again as I had to google what bogie meant!

In all reality, that loco is a mess. Two have survived in better order - and, with a much better secure future. Both are owned by the ITG; one is operational at Downpatrock (in green livery) and another is in the later stages of restoration at the ITG's other case at Carrick-on-Suir. Any bogie swop with that yoke above will be for the benefit of one or other of those, which will both see good use on the DCDR.

I'm afraid I would scrap the one above unless someone (yes, that famous "someone" again!) could be found to give it a lick of paint and stick it on a plinth somewhere.............(West Cork?)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

In all reality, that loco is a mess. Two have survived in better order - and, with a much better secure future. Both are owned by the ITG; one is operational at Downpatrock (in green livery) and another is in the later stages of restoration at the ITG's other case at Carrick-on-Suir. Any bogie swop with that yoke above will be for the benefit of one or other of those, which will both see good use on the DCDR.

I'm afraid I would scrap the one above unless someone (yes, that famous "someone" again!) could be found to give it a lick of paint and stick it on a plinth somewhere.............(West Cork?)

Yes I do agree with you that we already have 1 operational c class and another that is nearly fully restored but I don’t think I could ever justify scrapping one, even if it’s just a mere shell with a stripped interior I think it should still be kept in a nice condition even just as a static exhibit ( in a secure location)It makes me sad to look at that photo of it freshly repainted with that beautiful silver livery.

Maybe I’m a bit biased as her original line ran through my home town of cahersiveen and only half a kilometre away from my house but it has been saved from scrap before and I don’t think it should be scrapped now either.

Edited by Railwayrover
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Oh…..oh yes 

30 minutes ago, Railwayrover said:

Oh god this is actually really bad

IMG_0977.jpeg

IMG_0975.jpeg

Those photos were taken many years ago too ….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Oh…..oh yes 

Those photos were taken many years ago too ….

Sad to see; and sad to say, THAT one WOULD be better put out of its misery.

We can’t hang onto everything.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1