Kilfree Junction

Rate this topic

50 minutes ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

Some recycling of a piece of teak and a Jacobs Elite tin lid and I have the initial stage of the locomotive rest for the turntable, I cut the piece of wood to size and shaped the underside by drawing an arc to the correct dimension by simply bowing a steel rule along the length of the wood, then I cut the tin lid to fit the wood and overhang each end to kinda replicate the original and glued it in place, it looks crude at the moment but it should work fine, to be continued....

IMG_20240519_171738.jpg

IMG_20240519_171731.jpg

IMG_20240519_173209.jpg

IMG_20240519_174338.jpg

IMG_20240519_191830.jpg

IMG_20240519_191841.jpg

Now you see, I tried to make a turntable but didn't get any further than a Lego mechanism and a scraggly wooden base! 

• Funny 2

That's a nate bit of cutting on the teak Denis. What did you cut it with? I can cut curves on a bandsaw and then sand on top of a table sander- makes things nice and handy. Hats off to you

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

I cut the rough shape with a skil saw believe or not and didn't have a belt sander so I used the bench grinder to clean the shape, no craftsman joiner tools here boss 🫣🤭

Ha ha. All credit to your hand skills so, if that is what you achieved with a skil saw and bench grinder. Lovely smell of smoked teak from the grinder I would say😎

• Funny 2

4 minutes ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

I cut the rough shape with a skil saw believe or not and didn't have a belt sander so I used the bench grinder to clean the shape, no craftsman joiner tools here boss 🫣🤭

I was once roped into replacing a flat roof on the end two garages in a run of eight, they were all owned independently and I could foresee 'awkwardness' from the owner of the third garage, should we provoke future issues for him.

I laboured the point about this and the fact that we would have to do a really neat join, where the new roof met the old, over the partition brick wall. I was trying to get out of the whole job, by raising this risk, but I ended up doing it.

As I removed the failed roofing felt, it started to become clear that it had been done before, and badly, including replacing the rotten roof sheets, which had rotted again.

I was now even more nervous about the joining issue when we reached the existing good roof at the partition.

As I carefully peeled back the felt, I could see where the original roof had been cut and the new roof fitted to it.

The boards were chipboard and had been rather roughly cut - with a hammer.

You could see the individual 'bite' marks as the 'craftsman' had worked his way along.

Luckily, our roofing material top sheet was not the usual felt, but stuff that was liberated from the nearby Evode/Bostik factory, basically metre-wide rolls of Flashband, which covered the dodgy joint up very well.

No issues were ever reported.

• WOW! 2
  • Funny 2

15 minutes ago, Broithe said:

I was once roped into replacing a flat roof on the end two garages in a run of eight, they were all owned independently and I could foresee 'awkwardness' from the owner of the third garage, should we provoke future issues for him.

I laboured the point about this and the fact that we would have to do a really neat join, where the new roof met the old, over the partition brick wall. I was trying to get out of the whole job, by raising this risk, but I ended up doing it.

As I removed the failed roofing felt, it started to become clear that it had been done before, and badly, including replacing the rotten roof sheets, which had rotted again.

I was now even more nervous about the joining issue when we reached the existing good roof at the partition.

As I carefully peeled back the felt, I could see where the original roof had been cut and the new roof fitted to it.

The boards were chipboard and had been rather roughly cut - with a hammer.

You could see the individual 'bite' marks as the 'craftsman' had worked his way along.

Luckily, our roofing material top sheet was not the usual felt, but stuff that was liberated from the nearby Evode/Bostik factory, basically metre-wide rolls of Flashband, which covered the dodgy joint up very well.

No issues were ever reported.

No mystery then as to why the roof needed replacing 😂

That chipboard was a great idea on flat roofs, it covered every extension in the country in the 70's and 80's🫣

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

That chipboard was a great idea on flat roofs, it covered every extension in the country in the 70's and 80's🫣

Until it didn't🙄

22 hours ago, Broithe said:

The boards were chipboard and had been rather roughly cut - with a hammer. Muppets😀

Yes I've come across a few of those hammer/saw merchants in my time😄

Edited by derek
  • Funny 2

On 24/5/2024 at 7:54 AM, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

Company I served my time with used T&G chipboard for flooring several hundred houses in Dublin, used to be receive an artic load direct from Munster Chipboard (Waterford). Stored outside sometimes uncovered for several weeks/months before being installed, never had any comebacks or complaints from buyers.

Replaced a ground floor and carried out damp repairs in a Dublin Artisan's cottage as a casual job about 40 years ago. A young nurse working in a local hospital bought a cottage renovated by a gang of Ludraman's, who had replaced the existing t&g flooring with chipboard and plastered the exterior walls in sand and cement blocking up the air vents.

Chipboard and joists were not in to bad of a state when I priced the job, but a section of floor literally collapsed under me when I stepped into the cottage to talk to the client when I got the go-ahead to start about 6 months later. Underside of chipboard and joists were literally covered in a white mould/rot.

• Funny 2

14 hours ago, Gortalainn said:

Looks to be coming together very nicely. We'll be expecting to see a loco on that turntable soon! 😛

And the poor bastard pushing it- as per pic 😜

• Like 1
  • Funny 2