Kilfree Junction

Rate this topic

Well why not! Thanks to Noel here, another Sligo man, I'm going to have a go at doing this, I am gathering information about it, took a trip over there today and met a local man who had lots of info, took a few pictures and found some more online, next thing is trying to find a track plan for the junction. I'm looking forward to this now.IMG_20240425_195332.thumb.jpg.4f1f98c045b5138fabb48de3db43d28f.jpg

This is the board, 1800x600, plenty room.

Screenshot_2024-04-27-13-55-35-250_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2024-04-27-13-58-31-752_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2024-04-27-13-57-28-673_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2024-04-27-13-52-52-936_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2024-04-26-21-59-27-757_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2024-04-26-22-03-06-531_com.android.chrome.jpg

IMG_20240427_121510.jpg

• Like 6

Denis, before you get to buying points --

Have you already sketched on graph paper the compromise between your layout space and your desired scene of Kilfree Junction?. Also, maybe think about changes in gradients and how they might add scenery -- the OSI map shows a lot "going on" in a small place, which makes a small shelf layout easier to fill with shunting action.  The turntable is a key attraction for a viewer.

The late Carl Arendt used to design all sorts of realistic microlayouts and shelf layouts.  You might also look for Iain Rice's books on the same.  (I'll try to find them; I posted them somewhere recently.)  Andy Cundick's layout Valencia Harbour was featured in Model Rail magazine No. 198 (August 2014), pp 90-96.  Andy's layout is 12 feet by 2 feet with a sector plate.

Finally, the layouts Dugort Harbour of @jhb171achill and Keadue by @Mayner featured elsewhere on this web board might help: (

I recently estimated that the MGWR and Cavan & Leitrim stations and yard at Dromod might be compressible into 18 linear feet (three 6-foot modules).  Eighteen feet is a long stretch for a small home, which causes me to rethink what I want to depict and do.

Edited by NorthWallDocker
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, NorthWallDocker said:

Denis, before you get to buying points --

Have you already sketched on graph paper the compromise between your layout space and your desired scene of Kilfree Junction?. Also, maybe think about changes in gradients and how they might add scenery -- the OSI map shows a lot "going on" in a small place, which makes a small shelf layout easier to fill with shunting action.  The turntable is a key attraction for a viewer.

The late Carl Arendt used to design all sorts of realistic microlayouts and shelf layouts.  You might also look for Iain Rice's books on the same.  (I'll try to find them; I posted them somewhere recently.)  Andy Cundick's layout Valencia Harbour was featured in Model Rail magazine No. 198 (August 2014), pp 90-96.  Andy's layout is 12 feet by 2 feet with a sector plate.

Finally, the layouts Dugport Harbour of @jhb171achill and Keadue by @Mayner featured elsewhere on this web board might help: (

I recently estimated that the MGWR and Cavan & Leitrim stations and yard at Dromod might be compressible into 18 linear feet (three 6-foot modules).  Eighteen feet is a long stretch for a small home, which causes me to rethink what I want to depict and do.

Very valid thought there Martin, I will do that tomorrow.

On 28/4/2024 at 9:54 AM, Irishswissernie said:

This is the 25" plan copyrighht Geohive.

KilfreeJunctionCopyrightGeohiveIE.thumb.JPG.66f630b0a66abf40b91807930b95bca6.JPG

I have about 16 photos on Ernie's Railway Archive mainly late 1950's This  Link  hopefully will bring up my Kilfree Junction images on flickr

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=45127721%40N05&sort=date-taken-desc&text=Kilfree+Junction&view_all=1

Is a bit like Macmine Junction, but with the branch at the opposite end...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

Ta dah.....

IMG_20240429_191004.thumb.jpg.5b1c2d3b310a6062d99e672c331f464f.jpg

Blue tape is the track, black cardboard is building and brown cardboard is platform.

Love the plate turntable😄 Best of luck with this Denis

Edited by derek
  • Funny 1

Hi Gabhal! The whole process of watching the shed has been brilliant! Can't wait to see how the layout progresses! But as a quick aside, the layout looks maybe a bit limited by the headshunt lengths and overall dimensions for operations, have you considered an "inspired by" rather than a "Based on" layout? 

Just my €0.02, I looked at your plans and done a quick sketch to aid operations (in my unlearned and green opinion). But wither way I can't wait to see how this all progresses! And by all means ignore this if you want as accurate to real life as you can get, happy modelling! 😊

20240430_174331.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, meathdane said:

Hi Gabhal! The whole process of watching the shed has been brilliant! Can't wait to see how the layout progresses! But as a quick aside, the layout looks maybe a bit limited by the headshunt lengths and overall dimensions for operations, have you considered an "inspired by" rather than a "Based on" layout? 

Just my €0.02, I looked at your plans and done a quick sketch to aid operations (in my unlearned and green opinion). But wither way I can't wait to see how this all progresses! And by all means ignore this if you want as accurate to real life as you can get, happy modelling! 😊

20240430_174331.jpg

Lad I have no intention of ignoring you, I will do a preliminary test after I lay down track, I was thinking of very small runs, a couple of wagons or a small coach and a wagon, I'm not concerned about accuracy, that's for unlimited space and funds 😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/4/2024 at 9:14 AM, ttc0169 said:

Sean Brown at Hell’s Kitchen in Castlerea has information and photos too Denis. 

Don't they have an A class just sitting in a barn or something?