End of the line in offaly

Rate this topic

gph2000

9 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Lovely photos!

Off topic, but how easy is UAV flying in Ireland? Very restrictive down here, millions of no-fly zones.

Thank you both for sharing.

What's the plan for the two (?) locos and the wagons? Another plant, cutters torch, or what?

Don’t think there are any more plants. I think it really is a massive pity that locomotives this interesting (and, more importantly, venerable- the article said they were 68 years old, much older than any of IÉ’s current stock) are most likely going to be turned into tin cans. I’ve actually contacted both Bord na Móna and the Stradbally Woodland Railway about two locos at the BnM plant near Portlaoise- there’s no point in just being upset about something when you can do something about it. If anyone is interested in helping, I’m starting another thread for just that- I don’t think it’s against IRM’s rules to try to coordinate preservation of locos on here?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It would have been an easy win to take one rehabilitated bog and make it accessible by rail, reusing some of the old equipment. 

Not everyone has the ability or inclination to hop on a bike on a greenway, which I believe some of the trackbed will be converted to. Even just to access parts of it with equipment for maintenance.

Edited by minister_for_hardship
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, minister_for_hardship said:

It would have been an easy win to take one rehabilitated bog and make it accessible by rail, reusing some of the old equipment. 

Not everyone has the ability or inclination to hop on a bike on a greenway, which I believe some of the trackbed will be converted to. Even just to access parts of it with equipment for maintenance.

Certainly works up in the north, at Peatlands Park, Tyrone 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, minister_for_hardship said:

That is precisely what I think could be done with the Portlaoise railway i mentioned above! The passenger stock might be a problem, as I am aware that the Stradbally Woodland Railway has problems with using BnM wagon underframes for any passenger stock due to some insurance problem, I presume the freight-oriented nature of the wagons, which would make the chassis less safe for passenger use(?). The railway south of Portlaoise runs under both the M7 and Dublin-Cork line, making it a really interesting run. It also has relatively accessible extremities, so putting up a small halt either end would probably not be too difficult, and the central plant would make a great park-and-ride station, as the sidings are relatively separated from the SISK plant, and could be converted to a station relatively easily.

Edited by LNERW1
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

16 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Lovely photos!

Off topic, but how easy is UAV flying in Ireland? Very restrictive down here, millions of no-fly zones.

Thank you both for sharing.

What's the plan for the two (?) locos and the wagons? Another plant, cutters torch, or what?

UAV flying can be dificult. that day after i filmed those drone shots i was told off for flyaing as aparently it is a no fly zone however i had looked it up and turns out it is not regestered. one of the 2 newer locos may be going to manchester as a lad ted wants to buy it. unfortunatly BNM does not want any history of peat extraction remembered. they have recently removed there history section from there website. BNM are only selling locos for 3000 + at the moment even though for many of the older ones it is way too much. some come up at auction cheeper. as for a railway being preserved in the bog it has been sugested many times however BMN want to simpaly turn the lines into greenways. there is talk of the stone for the greenways being transported by rail. there are also drains evry few days out of edenderry for ash. there are 2 carrages at the now defunct tralee and blenervile railway that could be used on a bog railway though they do need some work done to them. i think there are a few at lullymore as well. cavan and letrim also have a railcar thing for 3 foot as well that does not seem to be in use. 

wagons are most certainly going to the cutters coarch. hundreds have been scraped in Croghan alone in the last few months

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LNERW1 said:

That is precisely what I think could be done with the Portlaoise railway i mentioned above! The passenger stock might be a problem, as I am aware that the Stradbally Woodland Railway has problems with using BnM wagon underframes for any passenger stock due to some insurance problem, I presume the freight-oriented nature of the wagons, which would make the chassis less safe for passenger use(?).

Waterford and Suir Valley can get what I assume are modern purpose built passenger coaches.

BnM could too, if they had any imagination or even the faintest interest. But whatever makes money with minimal effort I guess (scrap)

19 minutes ago, minister_for_hardship said:

Waterford and Suir Valley can get what I assume are modern purpose built passenger coaches.

BnM could too, if they had any imagination or even the faintest interest. But whatever makes money with minimal effort I guess (scrap)

So, I went to the Portlaoise plant today and there were several under frames that look like they would be fairly well-suited to passenger conversion. I honestly don’t think it would really be a problem- the Bicton Gardens Light Railway, which is somewhere in the Home Counties, uses Woolwich Arsenal Railway under frames on its passenger stock.