Pigeon deterrent

Rate this topic

I saw the ones the Brazilian church are using on a youtube video, and wondered if this is something that could be tried at Heuston to stop the flying rats getting in to the station building? 

https://www.odditycentral.com/news/brazilian-church-hypnotizes-pesky-pigeons-with-colored-bullseyes.html

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.com/bangalore/cover-story/namma-metro-is-humming-a-new-tune-these-days-kabootar-ja-ja-ja-kabootar-ja-ja-ja/articleshow/70489657.cms

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2024 at 2:15 PM, skinner75 said:

I saw the ones the Brazilian church are using on a youtube video, and wondered if this is something that could be tried at Heuston to stop the flying rats getting in to the station building? 

https://www.odditycentral.com/news/brazilian-church-hypnotizes-pesky-pigeons-with-colored-bullseyes.html

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.com/bangalore/cover-story/namma-metro-is-humming-a-new-tune-these-days-kabootar-ja-ja-ja-kabootar-ja-ja-ja/articleshow/70489657.cms

reminds me of a story from inchacore. every year seagulls make there nests in the running shed roof. all the company can do is try preventive measures. apparently it has caused some trouble over the years

Look away now if you are easily offended!
Many years ago I had a summer job working in the Fish Market in Dublin
We were plagued by seagulls
So the regular lads came up with some serious deterrents
First one was to put baking soda into several herrings and throw them onto the roof
Seagulls would swoop down and swallow them  
About 5 minutes later when digestion started the seagull would explode when his stomach acid mixed
with the baking soda, usually over either Capel Street or OConnell Street, how we laughed!
Second one was to throw 2 herrings onto the roof, they would have a  5 yard length of fishing line and hooks attached to both
Two seagulls would swallow a fish each and fly off, and when the line kicked in we would
watch them pulling in different directions until they eventually fell from the sky
The final thing they did was one fish with about 20 yards of fishing line and a hook, when the seagull took the fish they let it fly off and when all the line had played out they would yank on it and watch the poor bird come shooting down from the sky
This was before You Tube and the internet so I have no vids to show unfortunately 

• WOW! 1
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

....We were plagued by seagulls
So the regular lads came up with some serious deterrents
First one was to put baking soda into several herrings and throw them onto the roof
Seagulls would swoop down and swallow them  
About 5 minutes later when digestion started the seagull would explode when his stomach acid mixed
with the baking soda, usually over either Capel Street or OConnell Street, how we laughed!... 

I'm only surprised that this method isn't currently used at various seaside places.....

• Funny 1

In Cardiff, we had seagulls nesting on Cathays wagon shop roof, and they were a damn nuisance in the summer, walk up the yard and you would get divebombed. Now over at Canton, you’d get Terns nesting on top of the Black Shed, (the carriage shed), they weren’t such a nuisance.

i haven’t been that way for a while, but all the third rail substations on the Southern used to have a big plastic eagle owl perched up on top of the high voltage breakers.

Edited by Northroader

The factory where I worked had been built in WW1 and was rather 'rustic' in construction. With many roller-shutter doors, it was really not feasible to restrict access for the many lodgers we had.

We had a blackbird in the Development Workshop. He didn't really cause much difficulty for people and was surreptitiously fed by a few. He could recognise everybody and judge their opinion of him. Barry, mentioned elsewhere, was one of the the few who wasn't in favour of him and this caused the bird to respond in kind, deliberately irritating him by gliding down from the crane rails, just behind his line of sight, then swerving to flash by, just in front of his face, causing Barry to display great agitation. I can remember people spotting the bird positioning himself for this, and adjusting their positions, so that the correct flightpath was available.

On another occasion, I saw "one of the bird's friends", with his feet up on the bench, reading a newspaper at dinner-time. His foot was itching and he occasionally moved it to scratch the itch - but, it wasn't itching, it was the blackbird removing his shoelaces for nesting material, merely stepping back as each 'scratching session' occurred.

The bird rarely bothered to go outside, although occasionally strolling through the door onto a grassy area, in hope of a few slugs or worms. This was a reasonable tactic, as we also had a kestrel nesting in a hole through the corrugated wall of the next building...

• Like 2