Irish steam locomotive tenders

Rate this topic

Colin R

Hi Guys I have been looking at building a few locomotive tenders, but the one trouble I have is that I don't know the width of the finished article. I do have the  book the locomotives of the GS&WR  which has side on views but not end on or a plan, can anyone suggest where I might find this extra detail thanks.

Some thing I was not aware of is that the GS&WR used to run daily trains of old Tenders to certain areas where the water had to much limescale in it and again any more informatin about this working would be greatful, did they infact ever have to run such a train to Sligo?

Regards

Colin Rainsbury

Edited by Colin R

7 minutes ago, Colin R said:

Hi Guys I have been looking at building a few locomotive tenders, but the one trouble I have is that I don't know the width of the finished article. I do have the  book the locomotives of the GS&WR  which has side view but not end on or a plan, can anyone suggest where I might find this extra detail thanks....

I'd particularly welcome any GAs of the 3345 gallon "large" tender (possibly ex 400 class) that no.186 has

• Agree 1

On 19/6/2024 at 3:56 PM, Colin R said:

....Some thing I was not aware of is that the GS&WR used to run daily trains of old Tenders to certain areas where the water had to much limescale in it.....

Presumaby one such working or a weedkiller train

2024-06-03_060850.thumb.jpg.7a94670f9902d0f3a1bbe6cd988913e4.jpg

Unfortunately I havent any widths to hand, will reply again if I find anything

• Like 3

I remember reading somewhere and possibly seeing a photo of a 'Tender Train" that used to run to Limerick Junction before the installation of a water softening plant possibly in the 30s, there was a similar plant at Ballybrophy. There was a comment that the train was made up of tenders from withdrawn locos

48 minutes ago, Killian Keane said:

Presumaby one such working or a weedkiller train

2024-06-03_060850.thumb.jpg.7a94670f9902d0f3a1bbe6cd988913e4.jpg

Unfortunately I havent any widths to hand, will reply again if I find anything

Look like CIE days late 1940s a train of tenders from oil burning locos with white circle and ladders, first two appear to be Woolwich tenders.

Possibly a move between Limerick/Cork and Inchacore works.

I remember reading somewhere and seeing a photo of a Limerick Junction 'water train' made up of tenders from withdrawn locos that operated before the installation of water softening plant by the GSR, the GSR also installed a similar plant at Ballybrophy.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Interesting shot - any idea where?

Unfortunately not, Ive just gone through my books and not come up with a match, but one thing that did tickle me was the tender attached to the loco is by far the oldest in the train

• Like 1

Hi Colin,

This isn't a GS&WR enquiry, more a GNR enquiry.

Does any one have a drawing of the type of tender that is trailed by GNR No.85 Merlin. I have a decent enough drawing of Merlin however only the front 25% or so of the tender is shewn so building one even nearly accurate will be difficult. If anyone can supply wheel centres and length over buffers I may be able to create something near enough by scaling from photographs.

Cheers,

Gibbo.

58 minutes ago, gibbo675 said:

Hi Colin,

This isn't a GS&WR enquiry, more a GNR enquiry.

Does any one have a drawing of the type of tender that is trailed by GNR No.85 Merlin. I have a decent enough drawing of Merlin however only the front 25% or so of the tender is shewn so building one even nearly accurate will be difficult. If anyone can supply wheel centres and length over buffers I may be able to create something near enough by scaling from photographs.

Cheers,

Gibbo.

This is as good as I have, from the article published in 1932 when the V class first came out, hope its of use to you

Screenshot 2024-06-26 201324.png

Screenshot 2024-06-26 201229.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Killian Keane said:

This is as good as I have, from the article published in 1932 when the V class first came out, hope its of use to you

Screenshot 2024-06-26 201324.png

Screenshot 2024-06-26 201229.png

Hi Killian,

Top man just what I was looking for. From looking at photographs I would say that the cab and the tender are of very similar width which is what I was going for with the model I am building right now. That said my model is actually .5mm wider than it should be but I can live with that.

You should enter this image into the library in the resources section.

Gibbo.