RIP Trevor Nunn

Rate this topic

David Holman

Saddened to read of the passing of one of the great layout builders of our time. If you've never come across his work, he is well worth looking up. Trevor worked in S gauge (1:64) and his layout, East Lynn was just stunning. Everything scratchbuilt, working inside valve gear on all the locos and covering pre grouping Midland Great Northern/Great Eastern.

Helped operate it a couple of times and it ran superbly. The real treat was to work the quayside, complete with wagon turntables and chain shunting. 

All in all a remarkable talent.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • WOW! 4

The thing about Trevor was his skills were museum quality across every aspect of his layouts. There are folk who make stunning locomotives, superb scenics, buildings or brilliant painting, but Trevor did it all and to see his work close up was a rare privilege.

• Like 3

I remember seeing East Lynn in one of its early outings in the UK, the modelling was simply mind blowing in catching the spirit of an East Anglia coastal town with its harbour and its railway.  I lived in the London area for about 10 years and spent some time exploring the coastal fringes of Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk and places not unlike East Lynn

I think Trevor may have also used cable/rope shunting in his earlier "Wicken" layout which appeared in Model Railway Journal and on the exhibition circuit.

His layouts almost had a 'water colour" quality in terms of blending railway, architectural and scenic modelling

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Trevor was a very fine modeller and man. As David and John have said he had that rare combination of artist and model engineer to a very high degree so that everything ran and looked so fine. He also did everything to that very high standard - baseboards, track, buildings, stock, signals  - and usually from metal, wood and card, very little plastic. The other thing about him was that despite his sublime skill, he was always ready to share and show his knowledge and techniques and was never judgmental about other's work - a quality held by David and the Gravatt's, to name a few. It's fair to say that quite a few S scale locomotives have been through his hands, growling, jerky old dogs of engines would always return like sewing machines!

I got a lot of help from him when I was building Kilbrandon as he asked if I needed any help and built the Kerry Bogie, although the tender is from etches for a 101/J15; it runs beautifully. He also fettled my MGWR 2-2-2ST 'Elf' so that it ran better and could actually haul a train! He also built me a NER Long Boiler Goods which I got professionally painted - Trevor's skill deserved a great finish and I would have only ruined it. 
There was a big turnout of family and friends at his funeral. He was a very fine man all round and the S Scale fraternity have lost a giant. But his inspiration and example will live on for a very long time.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

On 14/8/2024 at 2:08 PM, Northroader said:

I thought his layout Trowland was just perfection for a small pregroup terminus:

http://www.s-scale.org.uk/gallery27.htm

Trowland will be around for a while yet and can be seen next at the EM society's Workshop Wise, Stannington Village Hall, Morpeth, UK on October 26th and at the Festival of British Railway Modelling, Doncaster Racecourse Feb 8th/9th 2025.

I am in the process of fitting a 3 track traintable in place of the little 2 road sector plate that Trevor fitted - great for home use but far too fiddly for shows and too much stock handling for comfort.

Rob

20220323_162601.thumb.jpg.8a89290654a6b82c4772f1869aa6bb63.jpg

• Like 4

On 20/8/2024 at 6:22 PM, Broadstone said:

Trevor was a very fine modeller and man. As David and John have said he had that rare combination of artist and model engineer to a very high degree so that everything ran and looked so fine. He also did everything to that very high standard - baseboards, track, buildings, stock, signals  - and usually from metal, wood and card, very little plastic. The other thing about him was that despite his sublime skill, he was always ready to share and show his knowledge and techniques and was never judgmental about other's work - a quality held by David and the Gravatt's, to name a few. It's fair to say that quite a few S scale locomotives have been through his hands, growling, jerky old dogs of engines would always return like sewing machines!

I got a lot of help from him when I was building Kilbrandon as he asked if I needed any help and built the Kerry Bogie, although the tender is from etches for a 101/J15; it runs beautifully. He also fettled my MGWR 2-2-2ST 'Elf' so that it ran better and could actually haul a train! He also built me a NER Long Boiler Goods which I got professionally painted - Trevor's skill deserved a great finish and I would have only ruined it. 
There was a big turnout of family and friends at his funeral. He was a very fine man all round and the S Scale fraternity have lost a giant. But his inspiration and example will live on for a very long time.

A fine and fitting tribute.

• Like 1

On 21/8/2024 at 8:03 PM, Rob R said:

Trowland will be around for a while yet and can be seen next at the EM society's Workshop Wise, Stannington Village Hall, Morpeth, UK on October 26th and at the Festival of British Railway Modelling, Doncaster Racecourse Feb 8th/9th 2025.

I am in the process of fitting a 3 track traintable in place of the little 2 road sector plate that Trevor fitted - great for home use but far too fiddly for shows and too much stock handling for comfort.

Rob

20220323_162601.thumb.jpg.8a89290654a6b82c4772f1869aa6bb63.jpg

Wow! Brilliant picture Rob. 

• Agree 1