De Dietrich + Mk3 generator van test train

Rate this topic

A very short looking rake Garfield do they not usually run 7 coaches in a rake

The addition of the generator van means they have to remove one coach from the rake... I think there may be issues with train lengths either at Connolly or Belfast Central.

Edited by Garfield

Guest hidden-agenda

When the DD,S were first introduced i could have sworn it was an eight coach train including the DVT am i right or wrong?

The original plan was for 7 coach rakes inc DVT but as popularity of the 'new' enterprise turned out to be greater than expected they were increased to 8 car sets. This was one of the reasons why the engines struggled so much with HEP.

In recent years motorways improvements and NIR and IE getting pathetic path timings down to a fine art have eaten away at enterprise footfall so the sets have been brought back to 7

(I'm open to correction on all of the above)

The original plan was for 7 coach rakes inc DVT but as popularity of the 'new' enterprise turned out to be greater than expected they were increased to 8 car sets. This was one of the reasons why the engines struggled so much with HEP.

In recent years motorways improvements and NIR and IE getting pathetic path timings down to a fine art have eaten away at enterprise footfall so the sets have been brought back to 7

(I'm open to correction on all of the above)

Actually, you're spot-on. The issues I referred to above would only have occurred with 8 coaches + generator van.

There was originally a full spare Enterprise coach rake, but as demand grew they plucked coaches from that set and added them to the others, meaning there was only 4(?) spares, including the DVT.

The current arrangement will make it easier to rotate coaches for refurbishment when the time comes (i.e. in the not-too-distant future).

Edited by Garfield