A little bit of snow

Rate this topic

Great video John,

thanks for sharing :) Didn't know the electrics on the NIMT hauled freight, thought it was Diesels only like in the south.

I must say the new 'North Island Explorer' carriages are looking very smart. I had a friend send on photos from a trip they took on the TranzAlpine last week showing the new carriges. They are most definitley a step up from the antiques they had previously! All built 'in-house' by Kiwi Rail in Dunedin. I wonder what we would have on the rails in Ireland if IE did similar?

Cheers Tom.

A little bit heavier down South

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8qVRF1VD0s

Tom

The electrics handle most run through freights over the 255 mile central section of the Trunk, with a changeover to diesel at Hamilton & Palmerston North. The electric are rated at 4000hp and diesels basically cannot keep time with the current load rating of 1200Tonnes.

Diesels are used for short distance freight workings from Palmerston North to the pulp and saw mills at Tangawai 83 Miles and Hamilton to the dairy plant at TeAwamutu and lime and stone traffic from the Waitomo area 60 Miles.

Pairs of DX (GEU28C) work the traffic from Tangawai to the Ports of Napier and Wellington, while large and small GMs handle the trip workings at the Northern end.

Anthony.

The Northern Explorer was quickly nicknamed Dora after "Dora the Explorer' hopefully we will get a chance to take our 3 year old daughter along some weekend to "see the snow".

The last car is an open obseervation car for hardy Kiwis.

DSCF6137.JPG

DSCF6132.jpg

While the TrazAlpine is reasonably secure, its hard to know if Dora will succeed,the train set became available basically because the newly equiped Coastal Pacific was failing, the long distance passenger business its aimed mainly at overseas tourists rather than the domestic leisure or travel market.

Took that from Pamly to Welli recently, the open car is great! A bit windy but well sheltered, right behind the loco.

The carriages are very nice, comfy seat, good AC, lots of food and booze available in the snack car and the full height and roof windows are petty cool. You can even listen to an audio guide of anything interesting the train passes.

Of course it was and hour and 20mins late and Palmy is possibly the worst station in the developed world.

Luggage van at one end and observation car at the other. IIRC there were 3 or 4 carriages and a snack car.

Took that from Pamly to Welli recently, the open car is great! A bit windy but well sheltered, right behind the loco.

The carriages are very nice, comfy seat, good AC, lots of food and booze available in the snack car and the full height and roof windows are petty cool. You can even listen to an audio guide of anything interesting the train passes.

Of course it was and hour and 20mins late and Palmy is possibly the worst station in the developed world.

Luggage van at one end and observation car at the other. IIRC there were 3 or 4 carriages and a snack car.

Have you any Irish stock Chris?

We might need an Irish Special Interest Group at next Easters National Convention in Hamilton or at least Richies Irish Railway Modellers group poster

Have you any Irish stock Chris?

We might need an Irish Special Interest Group at next Easters National Convention in Hamilton or at least Richies Irish Railway Modellers group poster

Yep plenty of 00 Irish. 141s, 201s, mk1&2s & cravens and few other bits and pieces.

Some Swiss N stuff as well.

Moved here from Ireland 2 years ago.

Drop me a PM if you're ever down New Plymouth way and I'll show you around the club layout, Palmerston to New Plymouth modelled with US stock, over 200m of trackwork. Haven't got one of my own yet

Edited by chris