111 Class liveries

Rate this question

UP6936

Question

Hi guys,

Would anyone be able to tell me what year NIR switched from light blue to the current darker blue livery on the 111s?

Where there any other variations I have not mentioned?

I am asking just out of curiosity really, as the 111s are my favourite locos

17 answers to this question

I think it was in 1989, when NIR changed their logo and introduced the corporate intercity livery, with 111 and 113 repainted in the darker shade of blue with new logos and yellow shaded warning panel. 112 however retained its original light blue livery, old logo and red shaded warning panel until the mid 1990s, as evident in this video.

Thanks eiretrains, i must say i prefer the lighter blue and red/orange panel on them.

I noticed that the rear coach of that train in the video was a dvt, would i be correct in saying that these where only ever used with the hunslets as dvts, and the 111s just hauled them as regular stock?

Looking at the video again, anthony, it would seem you are right about the windows. Very strange, I wonder how it came to be so, as the two window types are different sizes, so its not like they could just slot one or the other in easily. That coach must surely be unique?

Looking at the video again, anthony, it would seem you are right about the windows. Very strange, I wonder how it came to be so, as the two window types are different sizes, so its not like they could just slot one or the other in easily. That coach must surely be unique?

It would make for a unique model. I never noticed the 2 types of windows before on that coach but there again you only ever get to see it from one side

Are there models available of mk2 aircon brake coaches? Because im thinking if you got an old lima mk2 a/b/c brake and an aircon brake, a simple swap of one bodyside could be done to make that coach. Otherwise, mk2abc brake and an airfix aircon, and a cut and shut of half abc brake and half aircon window bodyside on one side could work? Then a bit of filler on the join and a respray in NIR livery, and it would look well i imagine. Also, the thing is apart you could take the opportunity to model the gen van exhausts etc

So was there only aircon on one side of the coach?! That's crazy. :P

Lima did ventilated and air con Mark 2s and Bachmann have Air Con Mark 2's coming out soon to go with their vent stock. Parts should be interchangeable amongst their own products.

I have never seen a Mark 2 with that arrangement in the UK or here before.

Never seen such a thing myself either. It really puzzles me just how it came to exist. I suppose with NIR any odd thing is possible!

If i decide to attempt it, i will us lima, as i dont fancy hacking up a brand new bachmann model

Never seen such a thing myself either. It really puzzles me just how it came to exist. I suppose with NIR any odd thing is possible!

If i decide to attempt it, i will us lima, as i dont fancy hacking up a brand new bachmann model

Crash repair? Fire/bomb damage? Looks to be be two coaches made into one.

It was formerly a BR Mark II BFK (14111) I believe. This meant it started life as pressure vent, not aircon.

Apparently converted by NIR from Brake Standard Generator Van to Brake Executive Generator Van in 1989. Maybe that's when it became the oddball in the video?

Great video Eiretrains,thanks for posting.Hard to think that the clip is 20 years old!Spot on also with your 111 info.

With regards coach 913,as Warbonnet correctly pointed out,it began life as a British Rail Mk2 corridor brake first coach.It was purchased by NIR in 1981 to operate with the 111 class locomotives on the revamped Enterprise services and they converted it to a generator corridor brake second.It lasted like this until 1989 when NIR converted it to a generator brake air conditioned executive coach,but they retained the side corridor,thus meaning that the pressure vent windows on the corridor side did not need to be replaced.It remained in this guise until 1995,the same time as the arrival of the 201s on the Enterprise service,when it was then converted to a generator brake first open.HTH.

Thanks for the info hunslet, do you if when it became open plan in 95 did it become a 'full aircon' as such or go back to completely pressure vented?

I am sure it went back to a standard pressure vent vehicle,as these coaches were now deemed secondary coaching stock with the imminent arrival of the DeDietrich stock.As it happened,most of the mark 2 stock remained on Enterprise duty until 1997,when the DeDietrich's finally arrived,and with NIR having no interest in using locomotive hauled stock within Northern Ireland,most mark 2s were either sold or scrapped by the end of the century.