The Hunslets

Rate this question

UP6936

Question

12 answers to this question

Although most of their time was spent hauled Mk2s, they were also used for excrusion work in the seventies and would have haueld rakes of ex LMS NCC carriages and also possibly (though I've not seen any photos of this) de-engined MPD and BUT railcars which were used for a while as carriages.

Colm

I remember seeing one of them (101, I think) with a train of old BUT and AEC cars. They would have hauled these and also old ex-NCC stock. I doubt if they hauiled both in the same train.

I have a vague idea - though I never saw it - that on at least one occasion a Hunslet hauled a Mk 2 set WITH added older stock also added on. I do not know whether it was ex-railcars or ex-steam passenger stock. I have also seen a pic of one of them in front of CIE stock, though this may have been an empty working or a shunting manoevre.

The Hunslets arrived in 1970 to take charge of the revamped NIR Enterprise service with the mark 2 coaches.As with all things NIR,they were soon press ganged into other work with other older coaching stock,as stated for excursions etc.They were not just used on coaching stock,being regularly used on permanent way workings,freight workings and also spoil train workings with the same wagons that were used with the last steam workings.They could also be found at the head of the CIE weedkilling train when it done its annual rounds of the NIR system.

Yes, b y that stage NIR had found that their three English Electric shunters, Nos. 1, 2 & 3 left a great deal to be desired, hence Hunslets occasionally doing PW trains. I am quite sure that apart from later workings at Adelaide, they would also have shunted here and there right from the start.

Interesting, Hunslet; in gthat case they must have just about overlapped with the old BCDR loco 28 in its very final days?

Correct jhb,the Hunslets arrived in 1970 and the Harlandic officially ceased working in 1973.The Harlandic in its later years still worked some pilot duties at Great Victoria Street,but was more likely to be found in and around Grosvenor Road freight yard shunting.When the freight yard closed in 1972, with everything transferring to Adelaide,the Harlandic's usefulness and virtual fate was sealed.It was another massive shame that this iconic and historic locomotive was not preserved.