CIE D301 class liveries

Rate this question

frankderpfeifer

Question

5 answers to this question

When built in the late 40s, they were the same dark green as used on carriages and buses, and to be seen today on "Maedb" in Cultra. They were lined in the same style, in black and white. Numbers (1000-4) and "snails" were the lighter green "eau-de-nil".

Some at least, maybe all, were repainted in the lighter green at some stage in the mid 50s, at which stage (1958) they were designated as "D" class. Next up was full Black and Tan, post 1962. Later, all black, same as most (but not all) "E"'s. In at least one case, the white flashes on the upper part of the ends were vertical black and white stripes rather than plain white. None carried the version of Black and Tan with the small band of tan low on the body sides, like the A and C classes did. Any pictures I've seen of BnT on the D class had the full width tan, i.e. in the same proportion as carriages.

None carried the version of Black and Tan with the small band of tan low on the body sides, like the A and C classes did. Any pictures I've seen of BnT on the D class had the full width tan, i.e. in the same proportion as carriages.

There is a photo in Irish Railways,40 Years of Change by Colin Boocock,albeit in black and white,of D302 after overhaul at Inchicore works in 1963,which shows the small tan band on the lower body with the small white strip on the upper body breaking up the mainly black body?

Didn't know that, Hunslet - I live and learn! Thanks.

I had only ever seen the full tan band, and somebody told me years ago none of them ever had tan at all! The only ones I ever saw myself were all black, but the "tanned" versions were generally earlier anyway. My first sighting of one was probably about 1971.