J M Design Some Models in the Pipeline

Rate this topic

Mayner

Some models in the pipeline CIE “Tin Vans” and MGWR Meat Van these models were inspired by one of Francis Shuttleworth’s photographs of seemingly ancient and modern rolling stock in Sligo Station in the late 1950s.

While kits and rtr models are available of the Bredin Full Brake, Dutch and BR Vans, no one has produced models of the once ubiquitous Tin Vans that ran in most passenger trains between the Mid 50 and late 60s with some remaining in service into the 1980s.

Development work started on the Heating & Luggage Van in 2011 the original intention was to combine 3D Printing technology with brass overlays for quality of finish and ease of assembly, however to keep cost within reasonable limits, the models have morphed to mainly etched brass construction with combination of 3D and cast parts.

Recently I have finalised the design for the Heating Van and assembled the test etches for the Hooded Van and a MGWR Meat van.

The Heating Van was originally designed with 3D printed Buffers, fuel tanks, gangways, roof and battery boxes, but I have revised the design to include etched fuel tans, gangways and battery boxes.

All models feature fold up assembly with tab and slot construction to simplify assembly, I have yet to finalise the detail parts such as axleboxes, springs, buffers.

The kits will be supplied with wheelsets and axles suitable for OO or 21mm Gauge and the tin vans have a coupling mount for Kadee 30 Series Couples.

At this stage I am tryng to gauge whether there is sufficient interest to supply the kits with bespoke castings

or use near equivalent parts from some of the British Suppliers like MJT or Comet.

Hooded Van Test Build.

I have attempted to capture the distinctive Inchacore style buffer beam, Bulleid Triangulated solebars, recessed doorways and barred windows.

MGWR Meat Van

Nearly a permanent fixture on Midland Section Passenger and Mail Trains though ancient looking these vans lasted into the late 1950s

Ancient and Modern

At this stage I expect to release the Tin Vans in September with the MGWR Van to follow in December.

I have to finalsie the prices but expect the Luggage Van to be around £40 the Heating Van around £50 for ease of asssembly I will probably supply the Heating with 3D printed tanks.

Also in the pipe line 22'6" Container Flat the CAD drawings are well advanced I would expect to have the Test Etches for assembly in July/August.

John

DSCF5737.jpg

DSCF5735.jpg

DSCF5731.jpg

DSCF5730.jpg

DSCF5737.jpg

DSCF5735.jpg

DSCF5731.jpg

DSCF5730.jpg

Edited by Mayner

• 2 weeks later...
john, will you be producing a trt version of the tin van?

If there is sufficient interest I will look at doing an assembled batch of each type similar to what David's done with the 2600s and DeDettrich stock.

The Luggage Van is nearest to production as there is still some detail to be nailed down with the Heating Van, a real Heinz 57 variety job :).

John

Wallpaper.jpg

Wallpaper.jpg

Edited by Mayner

Lovely looking models, John.

Is the 4whl LWB long enough to start causing worries about the minimum radius it will negociate ?

Frank Savery

The Tin Vans are a lot shorter in overall length and wheelbase than the Lima CCT so they should be ok, end overhang is relatively short so tension lock or Kadees should not be problem.

John