Why did 071s stay on ahead of some 201s?

Rate this question

201bhoy

Question

Just wondering really why all the non push-pull 201s are in storage and now surely condemned to never running again, but all of the 071s are still out and about? I'm not complaining at all about this, on the contrary I'm very grateful for the small bit of the variety we have from there being more than one type of loco, but surely it would have made much more sense to keep the 201s, a much younger loco?

6 answers to this question

Just wondering really why all the non push-pull 201s are in storage and now surely condemned to never running again, but all of the 071s are still out and about? I'm not complaining at all about this, on the contrary I'm very grateful for the small bit of the variety we have from there being more than one type of loco, but surely it would have made much more sense to keep the 201s, a much younger loco?

071s are a more versatile loco, lighter so can be used on the Taras and don't smash the track to bits. I can't say for denfinite but I would wager that a properly fettled 071 is better on fuel and more reliable, but I'm sure someone who knows better will tell me that I'm taking out of my hoop!

071s have a lighter axel loading , better route availability and being less powerful/smaller engine they use less fuel. I doubt there are any trains in Ireland heavy enough to require the extra power of a 201 either

If IE were serious about freight they could do a rebuilt on the mothballed 201s - rip out any unnecessary gear, smaller 710 engine or equivalent if required but I think I have a better chance of managing IE than that happening. It would be great to see Inchicore rebuilding locos to that extent though. Pipe dream sadly.

The taras are the heaviest trains on the network. A fully laden tara can weigh 940 tons. Liners are limited to around 780 tons by IE. A 201 on a heavy liner can be more economical than an 071 as a 201 can accelerate quicker thus spending less time at higher power notches.

071s can handle the tara as there are not any inclines while it's laden unlike the laden IWT liners that 071s can struggle to haul out of North Wall with wet rails.

Edited by Railer