Layout signalling.

Rate this question

irishthump

Question

Folks,

Now that I'm installing my point motors I wanted to add some basic signalling to the layout.

The SEEP point motors have the built in polarity switch so I added the wiring to allow LEDs to be ran from them.

Can you guys give me any advice on how the signalling should operate? ie placement and type of signals around mainline crossovers and sidings etc... It does'nt have to be strictly prototypical at all.

I think I will be pretty much limited to 2 aspect signals, and wondering how to best incorporate them.

10 answers to this question

Here's the basic layout from my control panel to give you an idea.

001.jpg

I plan to put station platforms on the double main line somewhere between the two crossovers. The siding directly above the mainline will also be served by one of the platforms.

Edited by irishthump
Added comments.

Well, I can provide you with working aspect signalling.

http://www.studio-scale-models.com/Signals.shtml

Regarding where it goes...

To summarise Modelling Irish Railways (p.44)

Discs/aspects control shunting movements involving running roads. Headshunts can be protected by trap points and a disc signal.

They are applied where a crossover at a platform end provides access to a siding/yard

Well, I can provide you with working aspect signalling.

http://www.studio-scale-models.com/Signals.shtml

Regarding where it goes...

To summarise Modelling Irish Railways (p.44)

Discs/aspects control shunting movements involving running roads. Headshunts can be protected by trap points and a disc signal.

They are applied where a crossover at a platform end provides access to a siding/yard

I actually have that book, think it's time to read it again!

Thanks for the advise Weshty, but I already picked up some 2 aspect signals... SORRY!

I actually have that book, think it's time to read it again!

Thanks for the advise Weshty, but I already picked up some 2 aspect signals... SORRY!

Heh! No bother, I need to make up some of my own and put them on the site.

Here's the basic layout from my control panel to give you an idea.

I plan to put station platforms on the double main line somewhere between the two crossovers. The siding directly above the mainline will also be served by one of the platforms.

Irishthump.

The layout looks quite restrictive in that trains can only arrive on one road or platform, all movements from the Down main to the Up Platform/yard would involve a shunt with trains having to set back along the Up line, a facing crossover between the main lines or a scissor crossing would make life a lot easier.

One important point to remember if this is a terminal station the signal controlling arriving trains should only have red and yellow aspects. Depending on the main line signalling system the departure signals may have 2,3 or 4 aspects.

As it stands you would get away with a two aspect signal on the country side of the crossover on the arrival road and two or 3 aspect signaals for departing trains, shunt signals would be needed to control movements to the yards and backing movements along the up and down main lines.

If you go for a facing crossover some form of splitting signal would be needed on the station approach. The layout on the Northern approach to Dun Laoire was a good example of 4 aspect signalling of a double track station with a terminal bay and reversible working.

John

Thanks for all you help and patience with this guys. Not being a prototypical modeller at all, I don't think I gave enough realistic thought to the layout. I just wanted to able to run trains in a continuous loop while shunting in the freight yard!

@Mayner

It's a not a terminus and I intend to use the siding adjacent to the up platform for passenger services as well, maybe a push-pull or DMU.

Is it ok to use 2 aspect signals for the up and down lines? I would imagine I would be positioning them at the end of each platform.

layoutdddd.jpg

Edited by irishthump