Old Dapol & Lima CIE Wagons on Peco Code 75 track?

Rate this topic

DiveController

Starting a new DCC layout. Was planning to use Peco Code 75 Flexitrack as Peco probably have the best livefrog points/turnouts.

(Comments welcome on this):confused:

I have many older Dapol wagons (7-plank and Cattle)

I seem to remember that older wheels may have issues on the Code 75 track?

Can anyone verify whether they are likely to run well on Code 75 or can my 'cattle' be shod differently to cope?:trains:

Thanks,

Kevin

Starting a new DCC layout. Was planning to use Peco Code 75 Flexitrack as Peco probably have the best livefrog points/turnouts.

(Comments welcome on this):confused:

I have many older Dapol wagons (7-plank and Cattle)

I seem to remember that older wheels may have issues on the Code 75 track?

Can anyone verify whether they are likely to run well on Code 75 or can my 'cattle' be shod differently to cope?:trains:

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Despite having only just joined Irish Railway Modeller, I have been railway modelling for more years that I care to remember.

I have a DCC layout partly using Peco Code 75 track. The only wheels that give any problems on my Code 75 track are ones that are more than more than about 20 years old, such as early Lima 'Pizza Cutter' wheels with very coarse flanges, the later ones with finer flanges are fine. Having said that, the older ones will run OK, they just run along the tops of the sleepers and make a noise like a derailed wheelset. In my case, this part of the layout is quite slow speed, and with sound fitted diesels, the noise from the wheels is not too noticeable, so I can live with it until I get round to replacing them.

Early Hornby moulded plastic wheels with or without metal tyres can be a problem with inconsistent back to back measurements, but more modern wheels should not be a problem.

Dapol, Bachmann and anything else produced in the last 20 years should be fine. It is just a case of 'suck it and see'. A good investment is a 'back to back' gauge. Even with new wheels there can be inconsistencies with back to back measurements. I always check new wheels before fitting.

If it is necessary to replace wheels, there are good replacements available from Bachmann, and a number of smaller manufacturers, such as Markits and Gibson, but they tend to be a bit more expensive. Hornby also do replacement wheels, which are reasonably priced, but I am not so keen on them, due to their odd tyre profile. My preference is the old Jackson/Romford range, which now comes under the Markits banner.

If rewheeling, it is worth remembering that Lima vehicles use a shorter, approx 24.5mm axle, as opposed to the normal approx 25.75mm axle that everyone else uses, although I believe some smaller manufacturers offer their wheels with different length axles. I personally just reuse the original Lima axles with new wheels, although it can sometimes be a challenge to remove the Lima wheels from the axles.

I hope this info is of some help.

David

Kevin

Good to hear you have decided to take the plunge to Code 75, it easier to work with than Code 100 and looks one hell of a lot better. I used Code 75 on an American HO layout the running was very good and it looked fine.

The Dapol or Wenn wagons should be fine, in the long run it will pay you to change to metal tyred wheels (sounds better and results in cleaner track. It should be simple to re-wheel with Hornby, Bachmann or Jackson or even Gibson wheels.

Intercity Models Superoller wheels seem to be the best option for re-wheeling Lima wagons with their short 24.5mm axles, and dirt magnet wheels with deep flanges. http://www.intercitymodels.com/Superollers.html

I see no need to build something else before investing. The whole Peco Code 75 range is excellent, and looks so much better than Code 100. The only down side is availability. Most model shops on this side of the pond will stock the Code 100 range, but not necessarily the Code 75 range. This is not a problem when purchasing points etc, as they can be obtained online or by mail order easily, but small quantities of track incur high shipping charges. Likewise, when you run out of Code 75 rail joiners, you can't just pop down to your local Model Shop to pick up some more unless they stock Code 75, you have to wait a few days for a delivery by mail, which can be frustrating when you want to complete what you were doing. However, I personally would never use anything else now for a new build.

Forgot to mention. With using Peco Code 75, for the awkward location where an 'off the shelf' point will not fit, Peco do the 'Individulay' range of track components such as plain sleepers, point sleepers (you cut them to length as required), and rail fasteners, all in polystyrene. You can then construct your own special track which will match the RTR Code 75.

Picture shows a special slip/scissors combination, the main part being built using two Code 75 points and individulay components.

DSC01893.jpg

Thanks, Dhu Varren! Yup, I'm going with Peco 75. Just have to be organized with shipping. Incur a lot of these anyway as I need to import most Irish outline to the US. MM has a distributor here in Texas, very nice upstanding guy but he has only the most current stock.

Beautiful double slips Had to look at it for a minute to see where everything was going.

Thanks Kevin